Phantom Regiment 2018

On 7/22/2018 at 6:26 PM, fireshane1 said:

Regiment needs to innovate and create the  type of shows that are competitive in the more WGI style drum corps of today, but without forgetting that they are the ####### Phantom Regiment!!!!! It seems like they lost their way, and are now trying to find it again. This year is definitely a step in the right direction, but changes need to be made, unfortunately. They’ll right the ship....they always do.  

Bring back the helmets......just sayin. It’s the single greatest sign that Phantom Regiment has arrived. When I marched in the 90’s once we put the helmet on, everyone knew that bad@sses were on the

Hate to tell you but head gear is soon to be a thing of the past

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:11 PM, fireshane1 said:

Agreed, but if you look at the overall history of the corps from its beginning, there have been these drops in placement just before the corps massively rebuilds and returns to being the powerhouse that is Phantom Regiment. As a alumnus of Regiment, it bothers the hell out of me to see where they’re at right now, but I’m confident that the dcorrect adjustments will be made. 

They need to stop hiring from within.  Will Pitts is simply not up to the challenge.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:57 PM, ftwdrummer said:

The problem is that most of the commentary here isn't particularly "constructive." It's just criticism.

Surely you don't think commentary here has anything to do with what PR does. 

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2018 at 11:02 AM, tim_brandt said:

Honestly, after seeing Mandarins at the Rose Bowl, I figured that it was only a matter of time before they overtook Regiment, this season.

I'll honestly be shocked if they manage to hold them off. This show is just lacking in moments where the Mandarins are bringing the GE via a more 'in your face' style show.

It seems to me that Regiment's show was designed on more an intellectual plane, and was trying to be very subtle in its message and delivery.

Unfortunately, that does not translate very well to the audience, at least in this case. With the strength of material to choose from, it's kind of inexcusable that the show doesn't have more moments. That being said, I was very pleased to see the improvement in the corps on that last YouTube vid and that they were starting to bring the emotion.

I would think that they should lean on that aspect and embellish it to squeeze whatever juice that they can out of this lemon.

In short, I think the designers tried to go a little too 'high brow' with this show, and the result is that it fails to connect with the audience.

Just my take. We'll see how it all shakes out.

As usual the corps is improving every day.  The product is just not there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EricS said:

They need to stop hiring from within.  Will Pitts is simply not up to the challenge.

I appreciate the notion of hiring notable alumni and helping them in their marching art careers. 

But, I think that they are missing senior advisement. I agree with you that Mr. Pitts needs to grow into his role, and could be helped by some key consulting hires.

Just a thought, might be talking out my a$$, here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EricS said:

As usual the corps is improving every day.  The product is just not there.

Agreed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tim_brandt said:

I appreciate the notion of hiring notable alumni and helping them in their marching art careers. 

But, I think that they are missing senior advisement. I agree with you that Mr. Pitts needs to grow into his role, and could be helped by some key consulting hires.

Just a thought, might be talking out my a$$, here. 

:)

On 7/23/2018 at 6:18 PM, Rocketman said:

I have expressed my concern that their design has been lacking and this year is no exception. While it may be a step in the right direction, when you are already (IMO) five+ years behind the curve, a 'step' in the right direction still means you are behind the times. It's time for leaps and bounds to take the place of steps. 

I have a hard time believing that these supremely talented members are being 'written down' to.  To me that is insulting. Thus one must conclude that it is simply the design staffs choices that are the reason for the current status. Someone indicated that perhaps it is too 'high brow, or to subtle'. Whatever the case, drastic changes need to happen.

and happen NOW, even if they don't improve in placement.  They don't need to go to Finals with this show.

20 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Conversely, they pull out a show like Into the Light. I get goosebumps just thinking of it. 

I've always said Into the Light has never been given the credit it deserves.  2007 was pretty darn good too.  I love that show.

Edited by EricS
  • Like 1