Phantom Regiment 2018

ok so as it now stands nobody has stated an exact reason why bd was better than phantom in 2008 and why phantom didn't deserve it so let's go on the assumption that the judges scored phantom higher because they felt the corps achieved a level of competence and delivered a show that evoked emotion and appeal to the audience in a way that deserved high enough marks to win. Also if you know J.D. then you know he and Paul Rennick know they are capable of a high level of performance themselves and were not afraid to do it in Rockford. since 2008 was 10 years ago maybe we can move on to this year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

What sucks is that this guy brought up how Regimemt should've been 2nd in 2008 as a reason why JD Shaw wouldn't return to Regiment. All of this because somehow Shaw knew 2008 was a fluke and decided to peace out.

That had more to do with 2010 and a certain brass staff down the road. 

50 minutes ago, jdpr said:

ok so as it now stands nobody has stated an exact reason why bd was better than phantom in 2008 and why phantom didn't deserve it so let's go on the assumption that the judges scored phantom higher because they felt the corps achieved a level of competence and delivered a show that evoked emotion and appeal to the audience in a way that deserved high enough marks to win. Also if you know J.D. then you know he and Paul Rennick know they are capable of a high level of performance themselves and were not afraid to do it in Rockford. since 2008 was 10 years ago maybe we can move on to this year.

Yes, BD could have won. Had they won, I wouldn't be saying the didn't deserve it. They were separated by 0.025 - the smallest margin of victory in history. There are many years were there were more than one deserving corps. This year is one of them. Regiment nearly won in '06, '96 (solo), '89 and '77 to '79. Any of those years had they won, I wouldn't argue otherwise, just like I wouldn't argue that the corps that beat them (or tied) didn't deserve it. Phantom had the pieces in place after the 2002 season, and the corps got better every year (despite their drops in placement in '04 and '07). Sometimes you have to dip down before you really hit it (such as '07). '08 was a great season and the top 4 were utterly amazing. Crown was my favorite, Phantom was incredible, and BD was weird, but incredible. It was a great year. Also, consider that most, if not all BD members from the '08 season have a ring from '07 or '09 (or both).

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

Nothing I said was incorrect.  At no point did I say Phantom beat Blue Devils in overall GE on finals night.  You apparently were so in a rush to call yet another person stupid that you didn't pay attention to what your were reading.

He's referring to me. I had mistakenly said Phantom won GE. I though, at finals, in 2008 they were announced as the GE winner. I was looking at recaps while writing an assertion that he called asinine. I was flipping between the recaps on fromthepressbox between the three nights. The open class recaps were in the middle as well. I mistakenly said Regiment won in GE. He's never made a mistake in his life before, so he had to slam me for doing so, in a long post I didn't read - I stopped at asinine and ignored him.

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

What sucks is that this guy brought up how Regimemt should've been 2nd in 2008 as a reason why JD Shaw wouldn't return to Regiment. All of this because somehow Shaw knew 2008 was a fluke and decided to peace out.

I don't buy for 1 second that JD felt it was a fluke or left because he felt it was a fluke. That's just silly. I'm sure every single person that was involved in Regiment in '08, every single person who was ever involved in Regiment in any way, and every single fan who has loved them for years (or just started loving them that year) were weeping in joy. I know I was. I was so happy for that entire organization that night, even though I marched in a rival of theirs and wasn't very fond of them when I marched :)

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cmhs59 said:

How many "10's" did Phantom get before Blue Devils performed? 

Exactly. One possibly. I don't remember what the scoring system was back then. They got one 19.9 (from percussion judge 2), so if that caption was broken up into two scoring categories then, like it is now, then he would have given a 10.0 and a 9.9. They left room for BD. However, that happens - handing out 10s when theres more corps to go. The drum judge gave Vanguard a 19.5, then a 20.0 to Garfield, with Blue Devils - the reigning percussion champion still to perform.