Phantom Regiment 2018

6 minutes ago, Kevlar496 said:

I agree it is a bit boring with some really good moments sprinkled in. 

Kind of like Wagner’s Ring Cycle.

1 hour ago, RedJazz1900 said:

PR guard was 15th at Atlanta this last weekend... is that normally where they’ve been scoring? Was there a staff change?

The caption head left for Bluecoats in the offseason. The new caption head is a little young, but she and the staff seemed solid (according to their resumes). 

The guard designer, Tim Newburn, is new this year. He worked with the corps in 2015 :/, but did some good things with Glassmen and BK.

Edited by POSITIVenrgy

I rewatched Regiment's 2015 show last night - City of Light. I will forever have contempt for Regiment doing a show featuring a Paris shopping spree and an otherwise naive concept for showcasing Paris and the music of French composers. But the musical and visual design was vastly superior to what they're doing now. Far more musical effect, and I always thought the drill was great (a good mix of formations and scatter). Time heals all wounds, I guess.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, dcpbandguy said:

I would say the current music team (Pitts/Ferguson/Brown) could actually do some damage with the right visual/program designer. Some of Regiments music issues seem to be a result of poor staging. It’s just all really a matter of “who” that side of design should be.

I'm really not sure that the staging is affecting the music. The music is affecting the music. They could have staging from 'on high' but the music just doesn't support it. They are doing the best with what they have been given, but as someone indicated, 3 ballads is a bit too much. That wouldn't even fly in the 60's!

It's time to get out of the comfort zone, which some have indicated this show is a 'step' in that direction. However, taking a step while everyone else is running still leaves you in the dust.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Kind of like Wagner’s Ring Cycle.

Oh no you didn't! You didn't come for Wagner :) Are you an opera fan? When I was getting into opera, I had made my way through Mozart, Rossini, Verdi, Puccini, then decided I had to tackle the Ring. That was the biggest project I have ever taken on when it comes to really emersing yourself in something and studying it. Siegfried was, for the long time, the only one I could listen to completely through. Now, years later I have over 30 recordings of it and totally love the whole thing.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how well "The Ring" would translate into todays chop and bop activity? But it would be interesting. That said, I think they could do a complete show (with minimal chop and bop) of Pictures at An Exhibition. It practically screams for story telling and I'd be happy to consult on it! :sigh:

8 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I'm not sure how well "The Ring" would translate into todays chop and bop activity? But it would be interesting. That said, I think they could do a complete show (with minimal chop and bop) of Pictures at An Exhibition. It practically screams for story telling and I'd be happy to consult on it! :sigh:

Easy,.  Just cut the aforementioned boring parts and keep the highlights!  :laughing: