Phantom Regiment 2018

On 8/3/2018 at 3:53 PM, Rocketman said:

I'm not sure how well "The Ring" would translate into todays chop and bop activity? But it would be interesting. That said, I think they could do a complete show (with minimal chop and bop) of Pictures at An Exhibition. It practically screams for story telling and I'd be happy to consult on it! :sigh:

It could be done, but the Ring as the presented it in the 90’s would not work well today, which I mean as no disrespect to the earlier show. I have said before that their book that year may well be the most challenging musical arrangement by a drum corps of all time.  Today I think we’d have to have rhinemaidens and Valkures, Valhalla and the end of the world. And if queenanne_1536 has over thirty recordings, which would make her a minor Wagnerian (Wagnerian best of hundred of recordings, all of which they pan, just kidding queenanne), she can be the DCP expert on the show!

11 hours ago, RADIO3 said:

Around 14 months ago.... as a past member... I posted on the alumni FB page that I had heard a piece I thought would be great for Regiment. Past members were enthusiastic. Other than 1 past staff legend there was no response from movers and shakers. 

The piece.... Metropolis 1927!!! (I wonder if JD Shaw is still a member of that forum!!!!).

So it has been a delight and source of despair in equal measure hearing SCV this year. It may become one of the top 5 DCI pieces ever IMHO.

I have been dismayed for several years with the programming. When I heard the title of this year I wasn't expecting a re run of 1989 but it has been disappointing... not by the members I might add.

PR has a niche but which has recently been inhabited at times by others and done better... Crown 15???

The corps style gives potentially fewer licensing issues than other group yet in recent years we seem to want to become 'Generic-corps'.

This is not an appeal to play 1812 with a big bell. This is an appeal to start thinking about who is making programme choices and as a by product recapture the one thing that PR used to do better than most. Generation of emotion.

Yes the corps must not be seen as an anachronism... but equally it is almost criminal to abandon the great programme decisions of the past.

I was part of the lowest top 12 finish (86) and I think that unwelcome record might be broken this year. Either way I hope it is a wakeup call.

This is not a cynical alumni btw... it is someone who wants PR competitive and thrilling again.

There is someone on staff who takes himself way too seriously and isn't nearly as talented as he thinks he is.  Seriousness is often a shield for lack of ability.

Edited by EricS
  • Like 1

Not that anyone on DCP is a programming genius but, considering some of the recent programming decisions, it might be time for corps management to consider additional 'advice' when it comes to programming choices.

If you are going to do something abstract (i.e.. This New World), it better BE 'new'. Not just new for a corps, new as in overall concept and design that sets a standard.

I have probably burned my PR bridges with some of my comments here. I just hope that I am proven wrong next year. However, I am on quite a streak (having a critical eye for the 2014-18 design concepts).

I've got some suggestions, two of which were posted on this thread and one that I will keep to myself because, what's the point?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RADIO3 said:

I was part of the lowest top 12 finish (86) and I think that unwelcome record might be broken this year. Either way I hope it is a wakeup call.

This is not a cynical alumni btw... it is someone who wants PR competitive and thrilling again.

FWIW, I really liked the ‘86 show...

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

"The Ring"

Back then I knew very little about classical music when Phantom played "The Ring". Was on business in California and was warned (got that a lot) about a person at dinner who was not going to appreciate my humor. Was on my best behavior, was asked if I liked classical music said that I do. What do you like, said the "The Ring" it was an insult. She asked me if I wanted to place a star of David on everyone. She was triggered by the composer and who he was friends with. I couldn't have even named him at the time, but later my boss explained. That was a Phantisitc lesson to learn.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eleran said:

Who Wagner was friends with?

Richard Wagner according to this women was friends with Hitler. My boss didn't know either at the time. Got her on the side and asked why she got so upset. Never gave it much thought since but every time I hear The Ring I am remained. It's like the world became so fragile all of a sudden that one harmless action or word is misinterpreted and defines your entire existence. I was a happy hippy then didn't have a harmful bone in my body and all of a sudden I wanted to place stars on people? Once the false reality brands you it's hard to rub off even if it's far from the truth.  People have lost their lively hoods for a lot less. Sad

Edited by Bluzes
typo

Just now, RedJazz1900 said:

So, last week before fievennals. How do people think PR will end up?

I hope they hold their ground. This show is moving in the right direction I am happy about it where ever they place. Looking forward to LOS think Phantom will be OK.

• Like 2