2018 Blue Stars

13 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I have to say I didn’t anticipate their current placement and I’m a bit of a honk. Lol

I didn't expect their current placement either, and I still don't. I think they will be 8th by finals, and I thought that from day 1. They have a great show with a lot of content. It's well designed. It's up to the members, but 8th is a real possibility.

10 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Brad Furlano has made a statement in the misconduct thread

I'd like to believe things are better. They are growing and learning, just as we'd want them to be. 

FCO

Edited by HayleHam

33 minutes ago, BradF said:
I’m truly saddened by what I read last night about this person’s experience at the Blue Stars. The bottom line is it is our goal to provide every person on our tour with an amazing drum corps experience. It seems we have fallen short with the OP. For that I’m truly sorry. 

Unfortunately, I can’t go back in time and change this situation. I can only examine how we operate today and make sure it can’t happen again. Do the conditions exist for it to occur? Are our staff teaching in a positive manner? Do we have people looking for individuals that may be struggling in silence? Are our reporting mechanisms in place and do we take reports seriously?
I can unequivocally state yes to all of those questions when compared to when the OP marched. But we still strive to be better every day and every season. 

I give this message to our entire organization every season: we can’t fix what we don’t know. You don’t have to suffer in silence. We’re there to help. There are reporting mechanisms that include anonymous avenues to get your issues heard and addressed. We have and will take swift action against anyone (staff, member, or volunteer) that doesn’t live up to our values.

That not only applies to the Blue Stars, but anyone in the activity. Being on tour with a drum corps is an extremely hard and challenging environment, but it should never be abusive (mentally or physically). If you’re having an issue, please tell someone immediately. Nothing is more frustrating than finding out about a negative situation after the season. 

Finally, our alternate program was completely revamped after the 2015 season, in large part based on the experience of the 2015 alternates, including the person that posted here. While no alternate program will ever be ideal (everybody wants to be on the field), our program is now built on transparency about a member’s position, their options as an alternate, and their inclusion as a full-fledged member of the organization (that was always the case, but we try very hard to make sure that fact is known to all).

Sincerely,
Brad Furlano
Executive Director
Blue Stars

Brad's response on the Reddit post and some other comments from a '15 alternate.

Edited by HayleHam

Image may contain: text

• Haha 4

On 7/24/2018 at 11:46 AM, HayleHam said:

Brad Furlano has made a statement in the misconduct thread

I'd like to believe things are better. They are growing and learning, just as we'd want them to be. 

FCO

I have known Brad since 1994. And I recruited Russ Gavin to march in 1994. Both are amazing people and only want the best for the marching members. I am sure they are doing what ever they can to fix this.   From what I have seen from when I am around, members are treated with respect. But also pushed to better themselves to be best they can be.    I would leave my daughter or wife in one or both of there hands that's how much I trust they are doing the right thing.  

• Like 2

I was extremely skeptical of this show early on and it took a while for it get going. They are sitting in a really good spot right now with a very good chance to catch the Cadets. To make that, possibly, happen they need to put in all their remaining changes and "Ooo-la-la" moments this upcoming week...not finals week...this week. Get 'em in before Allentown. Second, clean like the dickens. There are still some minor formation issues, marching issues, and flagwork issues that can be easily cleaned up with some time and reps. Nothing major. With that being said, "Go rain boots!" :w00t::thumbup: 

I don't think they can catch Cadets. 1.5 points is a lot to be behind at this point. The new ending just isn't helping.

If you're gonna have a new ending, it's got to be one of those helter-skelter crazy Cadets style closers and it's got to end on some kind of set that has to do with the theme. Or a star.

Marching in front of the pit is a "roll your eyes" moment for me. It says "we're not loud enough so we need to get closer to the audience."

The staff obviously isn't gunning for 7th because they know this ending isn't gonna do it. Neither is cleaning the show. 

And see is what really grinds my gears.

The kids have been rising to the challenge all season. They got a somewhat difficult show, and are doing it well. 8th place and 7th is not completely unattainable. And then they give the kids a safe ending. It's like saying "Good job! Now stay in 8th!"

If I were marching, and this is just me, I'd be a little offended. I'd want some more meat to chew on. I would much rather risk dropping to 9th in order for a chance to get to 7th, than resting on my laurels. The kids have been rising to the challenge all year, why not keep at it??

They seem to be clean enough at this point to add a small handful of difficult sets to accomplish for a potentially huge reward.

But then again that is just my philosophy on things. And it isn't just about jumping another spot. It's about next season as well. You want to put it into the members heads that we're trying to move up. You want vets to stay. Therefore you need to give them a reason to stay. The ones thinking about trying out for a better corps are not going to be further convinced to stay by telling them they're not capable of achieving more this season.

No offense intended to anyone. I just want to see some risk taking. That's all. Great show and being done well. I just yearn to see slightly more. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I don't think they can catch Cadets. 1.5 points is a lot to be behind at this point. The new ending just isn't helping.

If you're gonna have a new ending, it's got to be one of those helter-skelter crazy Cadets style closers and it's got to end on some kind of set that has to do with the theme. Or a star.

Marching in front of the pit is a "roll your eyes" moment for me. It says "we're not loud enough so we need to get closer to the audience."

The staff obviously isn't gunning for 7th because they know this ending isn't gonna do it. Neither is cleaning the show. 

And see is what really grinds my gears.

The kids have been rising to the challenge all season. They got a somewhat difficult show, and are doing it well. 8th place and 7th is not completely unattainable. And then they give the kids a safe ending. It's like saying "Good job! Now stay in 8th!"

If I were marching, and this is just me, I'd be a little offended. I'd want some more meat to chew on. I would much rather risk dropping to 9th in order for a chance to get to 7th, than resting on my laurels. The kids have been rising to the challenge all year, why not keep at it??

They seem to be clean enough at this point to add a small handful of difficult sets to accomplish for a potentially huge reward.

But then again that is just my philosophy on things. And it isn't just about jumping another spot. It's about next season as well. You want to put it into the members heads that we're trying to move up. You want vets to stay. Therefore you need to give them a reason to stay. The ones thinking about trying out for a better corps are not going to be further convinced to stay by telling them they're not capable of achieving more this season.

No offense intended to anyone. I just want to see some risk taking. That's all. Great show and being done well. I just yearn to see slightly more. 

You are assuming the new ending is the final ending. 

1 minute ago, mcjordansc said:

You are assuming the new ending is the final ending. 

Yes I am. I'm sorry for assuming. 

But if it weren't the final ending, why would they add that it now? Seems like that would be extra time and extra work.for nothing, when they could just use the original ending as a placeholder. Doesn't make sense.