Corps Income/Revenue Stream

1 minute ago, Lead said:

Apparently you know a lot of other things - like what consumers of the activity want, how ticket sales are reported, how much electronics are necessary, what motivates corps directors to do things, visual and dance instructors teaching jazz hands, why staff changes happen, and pretty much anything else you find you want to throw your $0.02 in on. 

Either that or you're just another troll. 

Pretty clear that the entire site has figured you out.

Well now I wouldn't say the entire site.  Just the contrarians who are simply here to argue.  They've got me figured out, because they know I won't put up with that.  I get the tangible sense you've figured that out, as well. 

I bring insight.  All you bring is attacks aimed at me rather than said insight.  It is my hope that the "entire site" can see that.

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Well now I wouldn't say the entire site.  Just the contrarians who are simply here to argue.  They've got me figured out, because they know I won't put up with that.  I get the tangible sense you've figured that out, as well. 

I bring insight.  All you bring is attacks aimed at me rather than said insight.  It is my hope that the "entire site" can see that.

You bring no insight at all.

You simply bring anger, expect to be taken seriously, and let more insults fly when anyone pushes back against your tirade.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

You can see the dollar signs in his eyes while he's saying it.

Not many people are going to say on record "The money was just too good to pass up".  It's far easier on the ego to talk about "passion" and "loyalty" and "educational opportunitie$".  We can over-romanticize about how passionate these educators are, but at the end of the day, they are motivated by the same things every other human being in every other discipline is motivated by.  Bottom line, he simply would not have made the move had BAC not made it well worth his while.

I'm not questioning his character or morals or ethics (nor those of any other BAC instructor).  I'm sure those are all of the highest standard.  All I'm saying is what is as plain as day; Boston PURCHASED a top-tier staff in order to stay in the top 12.  And it's working.  But they're going to have to keep shelling out the bucks to keep that staff in place, just like any other corps....but their ceiling is higher, because that's what it took to get them there.  Now I definitely expect BAC to keep rising, just like I expect for their costs to keep rising, along with the salaries of the top-shelf staff they've assembled.  And when the bubble finally bursts, you think that staff is going to take a pay cut and continue on out of passion and loyalty?  No, they'll go wherever the next corps who spends a boatload of money to lure them away pops up.  And so the cycle continues, until all the money runs out.

Again, if you're consistent, I suspect you hated Star of Indiana, Bill Cook, and all the staff he "bought" to build his corps.

Or was it ok then because they played G horns and had no A&E.  IOW, it's only a bother when they spend THEIR money on things with which you agree?

And don't accuse me of anything - from what you've posted so far, I would find it difficult to give two craps about your opinion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I have countered many of your arguments both logically and with direct knowledge of certain situations. You have yet to respond to one, except this one, to claim I have attacks aimed at you. Incorrect. I have attacks aimed at the vitriol with which you approach the activity. I don't know you. 

What I say has nothing to do with whether or not "they know you won't put up with that," because it's the internet and no one cares what you will and won't put up with, including me.

You can't defend a single argument you make, and when those of us who combat your troll responses with actual knowledge call you on it, you either fail to respond, respond with personal insults/taunts, or play the "nuh-uh" game like you did in the thread above.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2017 at 1:46 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

So back in the day Corps made bank off of Bingo halls and some may still do that. Recently alot of the top tier groups have been making business deals with companies and starting outside programs. What ways do corps survive now besides dues,donations,and souvies? Or if you were in charge of a group how would you start a revenue stream?

Welcome to the offseason!

There are really three channels in this answer.  The first is the tier of fundraising that is done at the MM level: bake sales, car washes, and other simple things that give the MM's a chance to earn their fees, the Development fundraising that is usually focused on grants and other charitable contributions, and the "corporate" programs taken on by the BoD and generally require significant capital and/or personnel inputs but also have the potential for a significant payoff if successful.  It's usually this last category that is lost on most corps Boards.

Some examples are Crown Tickets, BK leasing out their food truck to fall sports/music programs and, of course, BD running two, separate bingo operations and five program groups under their umbrella.

25 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

So no response to my last post?   I feel so left out!

It didn't (and still doesn't) warrant a response, because you're accusing me of something I wasn't doing.

I'm happy for Colin, and I wish him well.  But I also have the sense to know that when Boston's generous benefactor(s) dry up, that's right about the time he'll be ready to "seek new challenges", along with most of the rest of the dream team.  And I don't begrudge them for that, not at all.  But I'm not about to sit here and wrap it up in a package labelled "money had absolutely nothing to do with this decision".  I have WAY more sense than that, and so should you.

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

It didn't (and still doesn't) warrant a response, because you're accusing me of something I wasn't doing.

I'm happy for Colin, and I wish him well.  But I also have the sense to know that when Boston's generous benefactor(s) dry up, that's right about the time he'll be ready to "seek new challenges", along with most of the rest of the dream team.  And I don't begrudge them for that, not at all.  But I'm not about to sit here and wrap it up in a package labelled "money had absolutely nothing to do with this decision".  I have WAY more sense than that, and so should you.

I don't know the financials of Boston. I do know someone who is good friends with a couple members of their BoD, and know how they have been restructuring things from how they operate and their business model to generate revenue, and know it has been many years in the making to reach the point they are at now. So, yeah, money had something to do with it, but so does having creative freedom and being a part of building something and having an opportunity to make a contribution to it. And if I know anything, they haven't worked as hard as they have for the past many years to get there, to now start spending wildly and risking undoing what they have worked to achieve. They are being responsible and good stewards. 

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, garfield said:

There are really three channels in this answer.  The first is the tier of fundraising that is done at the MM level: bake sales, car washes, and other simple things that give the MM's a chance to earn their fees, the Development fundraising that is usually focused on grants and other charitable contributions, and the "corporate" programs taken on by the BoD and generally require significant capital and/or personnel inputs but also have the potential for a significant payoff if successful.  It's usually this last category that is lost on most corps Boards.

Some examples are Crown Tickets, BK leasing out their food truck to fall sports/music programs and, of course, BD running two, separate bingo operations and five program groups under their umbrella.

I am pretty sure that with corps having very few local members the first options is not viable. To hold car washes and such you need people to work and a local population that will pay above market value to help their friends, relatives and neighbors march.  Many years ago hosting a show and selling ads in the program was a good money maker. If most of the corps was from one region then every members uncles, parents employers, community organizations they had been involved with bought ads in the program. Even non related folks knew the corps did good in the community and spent $200 on a business card sized ad. If you find old programs you will find lists of sometimes hundreds of patrons who sent $25 to put their name there as a supporter of the corps.  (and this is 35 years ago so dollars were worth more then).  However when you live in Maryland and march with a corps in Illinois your dads boss sees no benefit in spending $500 to advertise in Chicago.  The pizza shop who bought a quarter page every year for 10 years because someone who did deliveries 5 years ago had marched discovers he no longer knows anyone in the corps stops buying his ad once most of the corps is from out of town.   I think local corps are a thing of the past but not having the huge local presence marching in the corps hurts fundraising in my opinion.   I am fairly certain that "tuition" is now the main source of revenue for most corps, and this makes it difficult for many people who would like to march.