Corps Income/Revenue Stream

4 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Just because I don't join in on the CJ here doesn't mean I'm miserable.  Higher standards and expectations, certainly.  But I'm not going to call a spade a club just to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Higher standards and expectations does not equal sh.itting all over a very successful activity. They have higher expectations themselves, which is why the activity is progressing and evolving, which is translating into higher ticket sales across the board year-in and year-out. 

In fact, what you have is lower standards and lower expectations if you expect any activity - be it drum corps, band, youth baseball, firefighting, culinary arts, spaceship flying, theatre, weightlifting, education, or whatever - to be done the exact same it was 20 years ago.

5 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Sound leadership didn't lure half of Crown and Cadets' staff to BAC.  That was absolutely the magic of cold hard cash.

Yeah, money that was acquired under sound leadership. Also, it is appropriate money, not outrageous money. No one gets rich teaching drum corps.

As alluded to in my op, it was more than money. It was a chance to work with other staff they admired... at a stable organization... with leadership that would allow them to do their thing without interference... and who treats them like family, instead of as an expense.  A strong season, and a 6th place finish, got each staff member a hero's welcome after finals.  I doubt that happened at their previous jobs.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Sound leadership didn't lure half of Crown and Cadets' staff to BAC.  That was absolutely the magic of cold hard cash.

The hands of the BD staff must really be cold then.  I don't know what any staff gets paid, but I imagine Boston's new staff appreciates the security of their non Walter Alston type contracts, and the freedom to design and teach with little interference from their boss.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Yeah, money that was acquired under sound leadership. Also, it is appropriate money, not outrageous money. No one gets rich teaching drum corps.

As alluded to in my op, it was more than money. It was a chance to work with other staff they admired... at a stable organization... with leadership that would allow them to do their thing without interference... and who treats them like family, instead of as an expense.  A strong season, and a 6th place finish, got each staff member a hero's welcome after finals.  I doubt that happened at their previous jobs.  

We shouldn't minimize the impact of a high-five-figure carrot, but let's also recognize that Basten struck with a hot-poker at EXACTLY the right minute, when the turmoil was most frothy, the blame for placement was at its highest, and when the pressure to succeed and the withering criticism were likely at their most intense.  The power of timing was obviously important.

Some might call that superior leadership skills; I know I do.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

We shouldn't minimize the impact of a high-five-figure carrot, but let's also recognize that Basten struck with a hot-poker at EXACTLY the right minute, when the turmoil was most frothy, the blame for placement was at its highest, and when the pressure to succeed and the withering criticism were likely at their most intense.  The power of timing was obviously important.

Some might call that superior leadership skills; I know I do.

Well put, and definitely true. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

The hands of the BD staff must really be cold then.  I don't know what any staff gets paid, but I imagine Boston's new staff appreciates the security of their non Walter Alston type contracts, and the freedom to design and teach with little interference from their boss.

That's the real issue though.  Someone NEEDS to interfere and tell these corps "Knock off these high-concept mind trips you keep designing, before your vision and innovation bankrupts our entire organization".

8 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Stop over-romanticizing.  They poached big-name instructors with dollar signs, end of story.   If it makes you feel better to call it strong leadership, knock yourself out.  But at the end of the day, it's just spending a disproportionate amount of money to be competitive.

Just because I don't join in on the CJ here doesn't mean I'm miserable.  Higher standards and expectations, certainly.  But I'm not going to call a spade a club just to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

You don't have a clue about what you  are talking about. You know nothing at all about the Boston Crusaders bubba.   You crow about telling it like it is. but the reality is you are a troll and a factless clueless one at that.  Keep being a crank, other posters hear know you for what you are.  Maybe check out on Flo the interview with Colin McNutt to get a sense of why staff that are with Boston, made the changes from where they were.  And if you are in the accusatory mood, why don't you find out what BD pays and SCV pays staff then start in on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2