Corps Income/Revenue Stream

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

Work more on getting your story straight.  Do some research.

Buddy, Colin McNutt has to put food on his table just like the rest of us.  He doesn't live off Vic Firth stick endorsements.  And it would have taken more than loyalty to his first corps to lure him away from the man whose credo is "How can we make this more innovative?".  Money is what brought him to Boston, and money is what will keep him from picking up stakes and moving to Santa Clara.

7 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That's the real issue though.  Someone NEEDS to interfere and tell these corps "Knock off these high-concept mind trips you keep designing, before your vision and innovation bankrupts our entire organization".

Again, more knowing nothing.  Clueless.  Why don't you go to these orgs and tell them off? 

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Buddy, Colin McNutt has to put food on his table just like the rest of us.  He doesn't live off Vic Firth stick endorsements.  And it would have taken more than loyalty to his first corps to lure him away from the man whose credo is "How can we make this more innovative?".  Money is what brought him to Boston, and money is what will keep him from picking up stakes and moving to Santa Clara.

Check out the interview.  Again, you know nothing.

You don't have a clue about what you  are talking about. You know nothing at all about the Boston Crusaders bubba.   You crow about telling it like it is. but the reality is you are a troll and a factless clueless one at that.  Keep being a crank, other posters hear know you for what you are.  Maybe check out on Flo the interview with Colin McNutt to get a sense of why staff that are with Boston, made the changes from where they were.  And if you are in the accusatory mood, why don't you find out what BD pays and SCV pays staff then start in on them.

Oh don't think for a second I'm only picking on your favorite corps.  They ALL spend entirely too much money today, and yes, when you have staffs that are nearly 1/2 the size of the corps on the field......that's TOO MANY staff members (granted most of that bloat is dance instructors and visual techs to teach brass and percussion how to jazz hands).  They're all going to overspend themselves right out of viability and sustainability.  Then NO ONE wins a medal.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

The hands of the BD staff must really be cold then.  I don't know what any staff gets paid, but I imagine Boston's new staff appreciates the security of their non Walter Alston type contracts, and the freedom to design and teach with little interference from their boss.

" Artistic freedom " was the fundamental lure, as well as the opportunity to work in a collaborative manner with other staffers that were respected and that Boston was going to bring to Boston as well to work alongside them as educators to teach their students at Boston. The raise in pay was probably the frosting on the cake for the new staffers at Boston... as well as knowing they'd be the strong likliihood that if they made the switch, they'd get paid on time, and in the amount promised to them.

Check out the interview.  Again, you know nothing.

If your one note is going to be "you know nothing", then we're done.

For all my faults (and I do have plenty), I DO know a considerable amount about this activity.  And I also DO know that human beings are motivated first and foremost by money.  Yes, even music educators.

Seems to me like all you really know is how to type "you know nothing".

9 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

According to his bio, Boston was his first corps. Maybe he just wanted to get back to his roots?

Maybe you should learn something about the staffers, instructors and judges whose integrity and motivations you are so willing to impugn?

Edited by ShortAndFast

couple of comments....

1. i suspect that DCI has a pretty good handle on the duration and value of their customer live cycle and try to market to customers in ways to a) start the cycle sooner and b) increase the value creation points. i suspect that customer life cycle is, on average 2+ seasons.

2. it looks to me like dci presumes that more corps = more members = more potential butts in seats and stuff sold. there is probably some calculation based on historic transactions and data collected from members, that sheds light on how many tickets a member's family and friend can be expected to purchase and how those numbers change based on age of members and length of service.

3. to garfield's point on retaining - i suspect DCI would tell you that the time a member spends in corps has increased slightly and that attempts to lengthen the customer life cycle track this.

4.it also looks like dci is focused on getting 15-23 year olds - either in reality or by proxy. i think there may be a presumption that bottoms up pressure on scholastic band members, rather than it all being the band director downward. not sure i see lots of  effort aimed at getting/keeping people who are not affiliated with someone involved in a corps to keep them coming once that friend/family is no longer involved.. dci may perceive a better return on engaging more under 20 years olds than trying to get  a non-engaged 45 year-old to come to an event.

5. my take would be that DCI corps think that the job/role of dci is create more value, not allocate a fixed size pie. and i'm not sure that the internal discussion revolves around how to distribute some revenue pie. i think those discussions revolve around how do you make the revenue pie bigger? the idea that dci can support everyone who wants to run a drum corps is dead. it looks to me like dci provides a platform - critical mass of relevance, operational support, music industry legitimacy. grass-roots support  - that affords a corps - OC or WC - the opportunity to seceed and the metrics to measure that success.

6. somewhere in all this i suspect is recognition that DCI's primary customer is a member/potential member. and those members have choices, as do the corps and as do family/friends. People choose to engage w/ drum corps international - a critical characteristic of the organization.

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Oh don't think for a second I'm only picking on your favorite corps.  They ALL spend entirely too much money today, and yes, when you have staffs that are nearly 1/2 the size of the corps on the field......that's TOO MANY staff members (granted most of that bloat is dance instructors and visual techs to teach brass and percussion how to jazz hands).  They're all going to overspend themselves right out of viability and sustainability.  Then NO ONE wins a medal.

Oh OK then at least you are an ### to others.  Is that supposed to be a badge of honor for you?  To speak your mind, enlighten us all and everyone will listen and say "Oh my gosh, he is soooo right, we should stop everything we are doing so he can show us the path".   Again you are clueless know nothing and refuse to learn.  Most of these orgs do more than just what you see at DCI shows.  Do your research, get some facts.

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

If your one note is going to be "you know nothing", then we're done.

For all my faults (and I do have plenty), I DO know a considerable amount about this activity.  And I also DO know that human beings are motivated first and foremost by money.  Yes, even music educators.

Seems to me like all you really know is how to type "you know nothing".

But you know nothing.