I wonder if you might agree...

1 hour ago, 90svet said:

The volunteer ushers, even at Semi-Finals, and even during the early performances (Spartans, etc), took their VOLUNTEER roles far too seriously.  75% of seats in 400 level were unoccupied even during Top 5 corps, yet the ushers refused entry.  I had an equally expensive ticket (barring the DCI Friends extortion payment that I refuse to pay), but wanted a deviation from my assigned seating, in order to get some variation of viewpoints.

As no entry/exit is allowed during performances, the risk is low of occupying someone else's seat.

Quite the power trip for people that were too cheap to buy tickets to the shows, and volunteered merely for the sake of saving price of admission.  So they allow a non-DCI friend into section.  What's worst that would happen?  The lose their UNPAID role?

If this is an example of the mindset of DCI (only top donors get even the basic access of purchase of premium tickets) it's no wonder there is such a discourse among long-time fans.

FYI: Since you likely pay for internet access, and can use that as a justification, there is software you can use to downlod files off of sites containing music and video that you have not paid for so that you can get what you want, when you want, and how you want. Same 'ethics' as what you just posted here. Just sayin'.

Edited by Stu

Not to further hijack a thread, but I'd like to add another voice on the seat issue. I was also a pink shirt. I've been a drum corps fan since the 70s, and was not there for a 'free seat.' When you sign up to volunteer, you do not get to pick your assignment -you are told what you'll be doing a couple of weeks ahead of time via email, you could just as easily be sent to open the loading dock door (did that last year) and miss the whole thing. (Still an awesome assignment - you get to see everyone's pre-show ritual and post-show emotion up close.) I worked in the Friends section one afternoon and ended up staying for a second shift because they needed the help - eating my $86 dollar ticket that I had purchased for that night. I did it because I am a fan and a local, and I want the event to succeed in my town. 

A nonprofit organization like DCI has to exist by soliciting donations, and offering perks like exclusive seating for higher-level gifts is a solid fundraising strategy. You can't afford to dilute that by letting people who aren't donors to get that same perk, even if they go empty. Our instructions were to not let anyone in without a Friends pass, so that's what we did. I tried to be nice, not block anyone's view, and clap and cheer for every corps. I'll volunteer next year, and whether I'm in Section 140 or handing out cups of water in the lot, I'll still be excited and supportive.

• Like 4