Crossmen 2018

I'd love someone to explain the mystery that is "Music Analysis".  They seem to do fine in Brass, fine in Percussion, but not so fine in Music Analysis.  But, the last time they had two Music Analysis judges, their scores didn't agree with one another.

Edited to add:

I just checked out the Judging Panel for tonight.  Five of the judges haven't judged the corps this season.

On the ones who have, I'd only put one in a "positive for the Crossmen" category.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1

The corps did a very charged performance in Allentown.  It’s good to see they beat Blue Knights in visual.

It’s great to hear that they did “mass brass” with Spirit.

i detected many improvements in the show and music since I saw them earlier in the season.  I actually think moving up a slot is possible.  But, whatever happens, this year’s corps is a fine addition to the Crossmen canon and I know they will perform their best. 

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

The corps did a very charged performance in Allentown.  It’s good to see they beat Blue Knights in visual.

It’s great to hear that they did “mass brass” with Spirit.

i detected many improvements in the show and music since I saw them earlier in the season.  I actually think moving up a slot is possible.  But, whatever happens, this year’s corps is a fine addition to the Crossmen canon and I know they will perform their best. 

Phantom will be their corps to pass as they have slowly gotten closer to them and seems like Mandarins can pass them.  The last time they went head to head it was a .8 difference so we will have to wait until Thursday to see what happens.

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The show is better than its number 

Completely agree. And A-Town was a wonderful performance for them!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I thought the Allentown performance was good.

IMO, this show has good "moments" but it is not a "total package" on the design side (compare to Blue Stars, who potentially designed their way to 8th place). 

Were you there in person or watching on Flo.  (Just curious)

3 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

Were you there in person or watching on Flo.  (Just curious)

I was there in person... walking through fields with 5 inches of water to get to the stadium!!! hahaha :)

I will say that the show has grown on me a lot. The first time I saw it on flo my thoughts were "wtf" but they are doing a great job on the performance side.  And obviously live is much better than on flo.

The corps is better than the show IMO. One of these days, this corps is going to figure it out. Until then, the way I see it, these shows they've been putting out recently don't really persuade people to really sit up and take notice. At least not to separate and distinguish themselves from their closest competitors. By the end of the night, I've found that I usually forget they were even at the show. It's unfortunate given their ideal geographical location. The right design team could make them an absolute monster in a very short period of time.

• Like 1

Allentown was my first viewing of the show though I had the benefit of a standstill in Lawrence. 

The show is stronger than I was led to believe based on DCP comments, but I think there are two make or break elements. The Tchaikovsky 6th was very well performed Saturday night, whereas Thursday it started rough which has been a pretty common critique. The soloist for “Starry Night” (the popular song based on a portion of the symphony) was perhaps the best of the night of any corps. The vocalist had a good evening last night, but he needs more confidence which can happen. I do feel as if they will make finals, but Spirit could surge and while this is less likely, Academy could too. I do find that show underestimated. Tuesday and Wednesday will be work days, no doubt.