Age Outs

1 hour ago, insideout said:

They had quite a few people from other corps (mellophones) who moved over there. 2 Phantom Regiment members comes to mind.

It appears the Regiment's 2017 mellophone line took a bit of a hit with these 2 departures and 1 other who joined SCV. All were experienced vets with PR and their musical abilities, likeability and leadership were no doubt missed. In fact, at the Age-Out ceremony, the PR age-outs carried one of those supersized head pictures of one of the two BD mellos in tribute to him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Bluecoats age outs.... 55

Crown age outs... 44 ( 20's in the brass)

Isn't that pretty normal for both corps?  I know Bluecoats 2016 looked pretty mature in those close-ups.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Isn't that pretty normal for both corps?  I know Bluecoats 2016 looked pretty mature in those close-ups.

I don't really know.. but probably so would be my guess.

22 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

Blue Devils had 60. 13 of those were mellophones.

And in case no one's done the math....60 is 40 PERCENT of the overall corps.

Good luck finding a major sports team that could stay competitive the year following a 40% loss....g'head, I'll wait.

You should see the BD stats list I just updated.

12 hours ago, insideout said:

They had quite a few people from other corps (mellophones) who moved over there. 2 Phantom Regiment members comes to mind.

Happens all the time....the flugel soloist from 2016 Academy made the move to BD as well.

#### near EVERY corps ha has members go to BD over the years....including people who previously won -- sometimes the previous year.

I thought a memeber of 16 Bloo went.   I know there was a member of 13 Crown in the 15 BD show....and I marched in 84 with a bari from 83 Garfield,so this is nothing new.

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Happens all the time....the flugel soloist from 2016 Academy made the move to BD as well.

#### near EVERY corps ha has members go to BD over the years....including people who previously won -- sometimes the previous year.

I thought a memeber of 16 Bloo went.   I know there was a member of 13 Crown in the 15 BD show....and I marched in 84 with a bari from 83 Garfield,so this is nothing new.

I think it was a snare BDB-BlueCoats-BDA

got some more specific numbers for Cadets

Age Outs - Trumpets (8), Mellophones (2), Baritones (5), Tubas (2), Snares (4), Tenors (2), Bass (3), Pit (4)

DM(1), Guard (14) (12 of the 14 include 2 from Japan and are flags - most of the weapons can come back)

So instrumentalists who aged out total 29

Initial feedback suggest very good retention from the non-age outs as well - so seems like a base for 2018

2017 Phantom Regiment age-outs appear to number 44 :

21 Brass (9 T, 2 M, 6 E, 4 C); 11 Percussion (3 S, 2 T, 3 B, 3 FE); Color Guard (9); DM (3).

Edited by 1956OPR
to correct numbers

22 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

And in case no one's done the math....60 is 40 PERCENT of the overall corps.

Good luck finding a major sports team that could stay competitive the year following a 40% loss....g'head, I'll wait.

I hear you... but the sports analogy here does not fit ,,,,AT ALL..., imo..

In the Pro's, the top teams are positioned lower in the drafts, lower teams, positioned at the top in the drafts. Even the NCAA has rules in place regarding transfers of athletes between competing Div 1A programs ( sometimes transfers have to sit out an entire seaason before being allowed to compete with their transfer team )

BD is under NO such similar transfer restrictions that most ALL youth sports, pro sports leagues throughout the world have ( for obvious reasons too ). As such, BD has won 40% of the DCI Titles, and under the  transfer policy, BD can be expected to win 40% or more of the future DCI Titles under such an unprecedented system. The fact then that BD had 60 age outs or whatever, is meaningless insofar as BD is concerned, as they have the unfettered abilty to reload each and every season with the mm talent they need to perpetuate their compete dominance of DCI titles/ medals from now till eternity under such a highly unusual created system.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1