Age Outs

52 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ok.. to update what we have so far on this topic (" 2017 ageouts") heres what we have so far ( if anyone wants to change the numbers, just say so. Some Corps, we don't yet have the info on, ie Blue Stars, Madison Scouts, Colts,, Academy, Troopers, Spirit, Oregon Cru. and others ).

Blue Devils         60

SCV                      52

Crown                  44

Bluecoats            55

Cavaliers             33

Boston                37

Cadets               47

Blue knights      33

Phantom R.       44

Crossmen          20

Mandarins        15

Pacific Crest     14

Genesis              7

Pioneer              12

Should we be even remotely surprised how closely this mirrors the final placements of these corps?

i also find it fascinating how many kids choose to age out at a corps they never marched in previously. Most notably, Blue Devils. Is it any wonder why they finish in the medals every year?

• Like 1

From a pure reality check standpoint, is there any practical way a corps can climb the ladder under these circumstances? When scoring is, ultimately, all about relative placement, and a false cap at 100, if you start the season with 50 newbies, there is no way in hades you can score ahead of Blue Devils or any of the other destination corps. They may well get a lot better by the end of the season, but by that point relative scoring is all but set.

Mind you I am not complaining, just stating what I think is the obvious. 

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Should we be even remotely surprised how closely this mirrors the final placements of these corps?

i also find it fascinating how many kids choose to age out at a corps they never marched in previously. Most notably, Blue Devils. Is it any wonder why they finish in the medals every year?

Spirit had 23.

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I hear you.. and it does seem to suggest this. Retention numbers, show design, instructional quality, all play a pivotal role as well. But... don't want this thread to get sidetracked re. that.

2 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Spirit had 23.

Thanks for that update.. I'll add it in in the final go around posting on this.

Edited by BRASSO

I respect your history, Brasso. The reality is, all the other issues DIRECTLY tie to move-in experience. If you are teaching horn height in week three, and Bluecoats are on the field going through dot timing, guess what: you ain't beating Bluecoats even if Elvis came back from the dead to sing solos for you!

Another sobering thought is auditions. Man what an incredible burden on the staff at corps like Crossmen and Blue Stars, who desperately want to move up but are sorting through hundreds of high school kids who have never marched before...meanwhile, Blue Devils are watching finals tapes and elminating kids they don't want or need.

Its like Alabama recruiting against Troy State. And then playing them in week 1.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Ok.. to update what we have so far on this topic (" 2017 ageouts") heres what we have so far ( if anyone wants to change the numbers, just say so. Some Corps, we don't yet have the info on, ie Blue Stars, Madison Scouts, Colts,, Academy, Troopers, Spirit, Oregon Cru. and others ).

Blue Devils         60

Wow, BD really took the 60th anniversary theme to another level with 60 age outs.

They are soooo thorough.  

Brasso,

thanks for compiling the list. It appears you were listing in order of finals placement. I know it looks strange, but Cavaliers should be 4th and Bluecoats 5th. Just sayin....lol. I kid, I kid...

You win in November. You win in December. That's when you compete; that's when the ring is won. The rest is show design and competent instruction.

A somewhat cynical take, I'll grant you. And there is always the possibility of an outlier. But, by and large, placements are won when the contracts are signed.