2017 Mini-corps lineup?

8 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Your're right about that. It became too much about scores and winning, and it sucked all of the fun and joy out of the event. Hopefully the mini-corps that are participating now are there for the performances and entertaining the crowd. 

Thankfully, there have been some "fun corps" in the last couple of years.... Bridgemen and Freelancers in particular.  Both of them also really good. The "Opus 7" group... basically a pickup corps of former Renegades and others... brought the house down a few years ago. Talk about screaming soloists!!!

But in general, I agree.... the mini-corps throwdowns in the earlier days of this event were a hoot. All about the audience.

Honestly, those huge lineups circa 2005, and a couple of other years as well, were the exception, not the rule, for the event. The average number of participants has been more in the 5-7 range or so.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

The prototype event, before it was called Minis... was around '92 or '93, and if Erie hadn't won, I don't think the panel would have left alive. :laugh:

Crowd was all into it, almost like a big rock event.

I hear ya, W... I think the first year it was actually called mini-corps was '93, and that was more or less made up on the spot.  LOL.

Those early years in Scranton, at the Montage Mountain amphitheater... one time, a bunch of fans literally formed a conga line during one of the mini-corps' tunes. It really was a rock-show, fun, loose vibe. 

10 hours ago, ErieSopMike said:

Well, the minicorps event has been shrinking sadly.  I think 2005 was the last time (or one of) that it was its own event.  There was something like 14 minicorps or something.  That was a good time!  Combined Battle Hymn... 

It's just not the same anymore.

I believe 2014 has 11 corps, which was a big growth from Annapolis in 13.

8 hours ago, ErieSopMike said:

Mini is an awesome way to get some newer groups involved and possibly help get them to a Class A status possibly, if they're looking to expand.

That was exactly what we did - we knew it would be a good step in the right direction.

In all seriousness, I can't wait for this event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So where is the list

Didn't someone a few posts back say it was due to be released on the 20th? 

Over the last few years, some of the best minis have ceased to perform...Mass Brass, Golden Eagles and who will ever forget the Crunchy Frogs?  Although Rochester has a terrific venue for the minis, for anyone that's not staying downtown, parking is a true adventure.  Curious to see what Williamsport will offer up. 

That "life" thing got in the way for a lot of people, and a lot of minis have gone the way of both competing and alumni corps for that reason.  When it stops being fun, it kind of defeats the reason you did it in the first place.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:23 PM, Grumpy said:

When it stops being fun, it kind of defeats the reason you did it in the first place.

This is just it.  Is it really fun entering a competition knowing that you basically don't have a chance?

Yes, there's the enjoyment of the activity, but hey, it's nice knowing you have a chance too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ErieSopMike said:

This is just it.  Is it really fun entering a competition knowing that you basically don't have a chance?

Yes, there's the enjoyment of the activity, but hey, it's nice knowing you have a chance too.

See, I don't buy that. The formula for winning mini-corps is not a state secret, and neither is the formula for beating Star United. 

Any group has a chance, it's what they do with it that counts. 

Edited by Kamarag

40 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

See, I don't buy that. The formula for winning mini-corps is one state secret, and neither is the formula for beating Star United. 

Any group has a chance, it's what they do with it that counts. 

IDK if you go back and read the 2016 mini corps thread a lot of peeps who have actually won the mini corps venue were echoing eriesops post !