Which Corps will be the recipient of the Ott ?

Wrong.  Dead wrong.

My entire premise is that the judges are at the complete mercy of the corps directors who dictate to them how to adjudicate.  And right now, they're being instructed to judge hornlines upon the merits of their the audio equipment rather than upon the merits of the warm bodies holding the horns.  Now quit being a pedantic contrarian simply because you don't like me rocking the boat, and open your eyes, ears, and mind to rational thought.

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

And right now, they're being instructed to judge hornlines upon the merits of their the audio equipment rather than upon the merits of the warm bodies holding the horns.  

Proof? Source? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Proof? Source? 

My exact thought -- you beat me to it.

6 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Now quit being a pedantic contrarian simply because you don't like me rocking the boat, and open your eyes, ears, and mind to rational thought.

I'm going to channel my inner pedant in me and say you are actually the contrarian in this thread...

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 8:04 PM, Zeke said:

I'd really like to see Vanguard get it if not Cavaliers.

The only corps to make Finals every year of DCI's existence, and they've won High Brass twice ('84 & '87) -- and even then, not outright. If they could somehow get Klesch and Harloff in their camp, they'd win a lot more.

I would love to see the return of DEMAND and reward the lines who play more challenging music with their entire line and not just rely on a small ensemble to play all the hard notes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2017 at 0:24 PM, flammaster said:

I would love to see the return of DEMAND and reward the lines who play more challenging music with their entire line and not just rely on a small ensemble to play all the hard notes.

How though?  They've only got a set number of minutes to perform, and the dance instructors and choreographers insist upon monopolizing the musicians for dancing instead of playing.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:15 AM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Wrong.  Dead wrong.

My entire premise is that the judges are at the complete mercy of the corps directors who dictate to them how to adjudicate.  And right now, they're being instructed to judge hornlines upon the merits of their the audio equipment rather than upon the merits of the warm bodies holding the horns.  Now quit being a pedantic contrarian simply because you don't like me rocking the boat, and open your eyes, ears, and mind to rational thought.

Yeah, people...let's listen to Bobby L. Collins, whose extensive background as member of the Tennessee Volunteer marching band, and lengthy drum corps career of one season with a corps I've never heard of, eminently qualifies him to pass judgment on all things judging as pertains to DCI. His deep connections with the drum corps activity allows him to make us aware of the insidious practice of corps directors dictating scores to the DCI judges. Since he's judged for zero years as a field music judge, he can accurately dowse the mindset, perspective and practices of a DCI level brass judge. Glad we have that cleared up.

15 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Yeah, people...let's listen to Bobby L. Collins, whose extensive background as member of the Tennessee Volunteer marching band, and lengthy drum corps career of one season with a corps I've never heard of, eminently qualifies him to pass judgment on all things judging as pertains to DCI. His deep connections with the drum corps activity allows him to make us aware of the insidious practice of corps directors dictating scores to the DCI judges. Since he's judged for zero years as a field music judge, he can accurately dowse the mindset, perspective and practices of a DCI level brass judge. Glad we have that cleared up.

I'm every bit as qualified as you are, bub.  You see, I understand human nature.  And the last time I checked, there's not a single DCI judge who isn't a human being.

And your entire premise is a wash.  DCI corps directors DO set the standards for adjudication.  That's not only irrefutable fact.....it's common knowledge.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins