Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

I have been asked to consider helping direct a corps. But judging? No way I am qualified for that. Hundreds of folks who have far more invested in the activities deserve it more than I do. Plus, I wouldn't tolerate some of the bs I see and hear from certain organizations.

Well--that's the perfect reason to get involved though, buddy!  Far removed---eyes for days--analytical...  You'd be surprised.

I will say that in an activity this unique and this tight knit, there is an incredible magnetic draw toward compliance with the expected norm.  When a dozen at most corps directors determine 100% of the judging parameters for the entire activity, and also hire the judges, let's just say the obvious: you get the activity they want.

There is one and only one dominant organization in dci. It's not even close. No one can afford to be "that guy" in an organization this lopsided.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Not saying they should all retire.  Why do you think I'd suggest such a thing?  My premise is that you should be judging if you already are not, since you probably have some dissatisfaction with the judging.

But you also said that many like me should retire because you think many current judges can't or won't keep up and reward the artistic changes properly. And all I am asking is that since this is a DCI WC thread is for you to support your contention utilizing the current DCI judging community as examples. So, who in DCI is exhibiting the out of touch adjudication and should retire? So far your answer to that is ' don't know'.

@MikeRapp @Stu

Whether in DCI, BOA, or WGI Percussion or Guard, as well as all the hundreds of local circuits, the phrase is always in the back of our minds:

You gotta win by 5 points.  Otherwise, it's up in the air.  We judge our captions.  We judge the sheets.  We have no control over anyone else.......There's no negotiation no matter how much we're yelled at during critique or otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

But you also said that many like me should retire because you think many current judges can't or won't keep up and reward the artistic changes properly. And all I am asking is that since this is a DCI WC thread is for you to support your contention utilizing the current DCI judging community as examples. So, who in DCI is exhibiting the out of touch adjudication and should retire? So far your answer to that is ' don't know'.

Again--I don't know what caption they judged for your particular caption and why it's making you so insecure.  I never brought up Blue Devils but you did.  You are continually confusing me.  If I'm making you feel so insecure, maybe you should either respond with something more relevant to the thread or discontinue posting.

1 hour ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

@ContraFart Captions are always are all over the place.  Have you checked them out?  Check my #3.

The wild placement of individual captions is the main reason why the general public believes in the conspiracies. When you are at the top of the activity, the level of performance does not drastically change, especially in head to head comparison with other corps. If the judges are judging to the sheets as you say, then the finals day anomalies would not happen. The only conclusion that can be made is that there is either a herd mentality, or judges are throwing weight to the corps that is going to win anyways even if they are not the best in the caption.

If you judge outside of the expected norm, which is by definition determined by the very corps you are judging, guess what: you won't be judging. The entire activity is built to enforce the will of the most powerful and successful organizations. 

The herd mentality is precisely desired and in fact required to be a longstanding judge in dci. Judges do not determine the sheets, a dozen at most corps directors do. And I would argue it's more like a half dozen when you get right down to it. As a result, judges may judge the performances, but the corps directors judge the judges. And they judge the judges by how accurately they believe they reflect the intent of the corps. 

If I was a total outsider and you explained exactly how dci works, I would guess we would have exactly what we have now: a handful of corps almost always at the top of the heap, with kids matriculating up the food chain to age out at one of those corps...and presto changeo, the same six corps at the top every single year. 

So yes, while I totally believe the judges are very earnest and altruistic, they are doing exactly what six organizations want them to do.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Again--I don't know what caption they judged for your particular caption and why it's making you so insecure.  I never brought up Blue Devils but you did.  You are continually confusing me.  If I'm making you feel so insecure, maybe you should either respond with something more relevant to the thread or discontinue posting.

Very simple, simple, question: Out of all the 'current' DCI GE Judges, how many are not keeping up with the changes properly and should retire; how many?

@ContraFart Interesting.  The wild placement of the individual captions is why corps are placed all over the place.  No idea why there are conspiracies.  Caption scores tend to be all over the place.  I tend to think the general public don't look at the recaps from show-to-show.  Some interesting stuff.

@MikeRappIf you judge outside the expected norm and back up your numbers and commentary of course you're going to be judging.  What?  I don't understand what you're suggesting.

If I had to choose a word to describe this thread, obtuse would be it

• Like 1