Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Run of a lifetime was Friday night for Crown. There was nothing "run of a lifetime" about their Saturday performance 

I thought Saturday night was better. See how personal bias can effect outcomes?

14 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I thought Saturday night was better. See how personal bias can effect outcomes?

I felt really bad for the Crown's singer on Saturday nites performance. Through no fault of her own, those 2 solos of hers became an unmitigated disaster for Carolina Crown at Saturday's Finals. The electronics went so bad, that her voice was altered in a ghastly manner, and at other times, the voice was interrupted in its delivery. Still in all, surprisingly CC had no real slippage in scores. I suppose the lesson here is that if you are a show designer and must decide between a singer singing a solo, or a brass soloist playing the solo, go with the singer. Its hard to imagine that if a brass soloist mangled the music solos and played out of tune, the Corps would not suffer as the singer's malfunctions did not on the score sheets for Crown on Saturday Nite.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Both you and I are judges; both you and I have our preferences just like the DCI judges have their preferences. But we all set aside, as much as humanly possible, our preferences to adjudicate as fairly as possible to the sheets.  The contention by the OP was that 'many', and he did state 'many', DCI judges should retire because they are rewarding older designs and do not judge newer designs properly. You even defended that point. Neither one of you can cite proof via the past few season scores and rankings of DCI WC corps. Nowhere can it be found that newer designs are getting whacked by DCI older judges desiring older designs. The scoring actually shows the opposite, that all of the judges are rewarding newer designs with top tier scores.

my preference is well performed. when i'm paid to do a job, like and dislike means nothing because i'm there to do a job. highest score i've ever awarded was to a show that as a fan, i'd have probably hated....but I've yet to go back and watch the show that way. I'm afraid it'll make me second guess myself.

and yes he did say many. But DCi has been adding a LOT of new blood the last few years, and don't seem to be letting up in that regard. Maybe the OP knows something you don't.

Run of a lifetime was Friday night for Crown. There was nothing "run of a lifetime" about their Saturday performance 

especially visually

Finals tapes or late season tapes are the ones that get released to the public for a reason. Judges often have only good things to say with only small nitpicks. So it's not surprising for you to hear a judge gush about the Cadets on that night but not have scores that reflect that level of excitement

yup. What are you going to tell them to work on...the bus ride home?

This is the single most frustrating thing I see on DCP and elsewhere. Make up your minds people, can't have it both ways!

I bet ya if BD was winning all or nearly all captions every single year, people would say it's rigged or that there's too much slotting going on. 

The tone would've been different had BD been leading by 1-1.5 points the whole season. But seeing SCV come so close gave some hope 

the funny thing was during the tick era, you had changes all over the place, and people cried for consistency.

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I don't get why people are surprised at the domination of Blue Devils. It seems they march the oldest, most experienced corps in DCI every single season, with the most experienced and likely best paid staff in the marching arts, and by extension the biggest budgets. Indeed, under these circumstances it would not matter what the sheets dictate, they will be the corps most capable of adapting and dominating that criteria.

As one result, they have the biggest voice in how the activity is to evolve, including the designing of the judging criteria and the selection of judges.

In the last 25 years of DCI, I would love to know how many kids left BD to age out elsewhere, vs. the opposite. I would bet it would be laughable how lopsided that ratio is.

their budget is more than just staff costs you know. housing, feeding, transporting and insurance aint cheap

24 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Its not surprising, its frustrating. BD has all of the advantages and seems to get all of the benefit of the doubt. In the end it seems that corps that want to win have to work 100 times harder than BD which makes it look like BD doesn't work at all.

is it fair they found a way to keep the organization doing well financially, and found a way to keep a design team together for over 20 years? Sure is. other corps could too if they tried. corps like Cadets and Cavies had a few runs in there and stayed towards the top, but they couldn't maintain for whatever reasons. 

33 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I felt really bad for the Crown's singer on Saturday nites performance. Through no fault of her own, those 2 solos of hers became an unmitigated disaster for Carolina Crown at Saturday's Finals. The electronics went so bad, that her voice was altered in a ghastly manner, and at other times, the voice was interrupted in its delivery. Still in all, surprisingly CC had no real slippage in scores. I suppose the lesson here is that if you are a show designer and must decide between a singer singing a solo, or a brass soloist playing the solo, go with the singer. Its hard to imagine that if a brass soloist mangled the music solos and played out of tune, the Corps would not suffer as the singer's malfunctions did not on the score sheets for Crown on Saturday Nite.

I was referring to 2016

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

is it fair they found a way to keep the organization doing well financially, and found a way to keep a design team together for over 20 years? Sure is. other corps could too if they tried. corps like Cadets and Cavies had a few runs in there and stayed towards the top, but they couldn't maintain for whatever reasons. 

I think geography has something to do with it.