Late night thoughts: Amplification & Electronics from the Judging standpoint

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

I think the OP is right that you need a rule change to make a difference, maybe not about the specific rule changes proposed.

Yes, there definitely needs to be a rule change. It is unclear how quickly that might happen. What the OP proposed may be imperfect, but is an excellent start that can be refined. Currently, there is an electronic Wild West. 

It also seems wrong to have live sound engineers/mixers playing such a large role in productions when they are above the eligible age. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they can...they just dont. No one wants to be that guy

Thats probably it..

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they can...they just dont. No one wants to be that guy

And therein lies the problem. 

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And therein lies the problem. 

i've said it from day one

Not a single judge had the balls to drop Crown at finals with the mic issues.  You can acknowledge an outstanding performance underneath but Ensemble/Analysis & GE should have taken a noticeable hit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Not a single judge had the balls to drop Crown at finals with the mic issues.  You can acknowledge an outstanding performance underneath but Ensemble/Analysis & GE should have taken a noticeable hit.

Yup.

They were 1st in Music Analysis, all three nights.

In GE Music, both judges had them 3rd at prelims and semis.

On finals night, one GE Music judge had them 2nd. The other judge dropped them to 5th.

One judge was prepared to whack their placement... slightly

Thank you for correcting me....I did miss that GE judge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

It also seems wrong to have live sound engineers/mixers playing such a large role in productions when they are above the eligible age. 

We know for the most part, the major designers for a corps show are over age, but maybe the board person should be part of the 150 since their "performance" has a bearing on a corps scores that night.  The rules just need to be changed so the corps scores reflect a good or bad performance.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We know for the most part, the major designers for a corps show are over age, but maybe the board person should be part of the 150 since their "performance" has a bearing on a corps scores that night.  The rules just need to be changed so the corps scores reflect a good or bad performance.

Exactly.  It's one thing to design and an entirely different thing to be performing.  

in the sense of not shoving the horses back in the bottle but kind of corralling them:

1. All Mics must be stationary. Mic your pit, fine. mic your soloists and singer, sure. mic a substantial group, you're going to take a visual hit if you do too much of it.

2. No more than (Number TBD) seconds of pre-recorded audio allowed in a show. that includes music and voice clips. it's a performing art, and frankly I think that there should be NO pre-recored audio but i'll cede to a small window for whatever GE gimmicks. this could be audited easily enough by looking at the sound files on their laptop...so you don't need a guy with a stopwatch, but if judges suspect an overage they could go look. or in advance the corps could be required to submit an account of pre-recorded audio they plan to use.

these rules don't get it all the way to where some people want it, and they take away some toys that some people like. but from here i figure it reigns in the most egregious aspects of EA while still allowing creative freedom.

• Like 2