How About Some Common Ground?

Actually, it should *not* show up on any of the performance sheets, with the exception of the upstairs percussion judge at regional/championships. It absolutely should show in general effect and ensemble music.

The idea that amplification issues/failure shows up on the final score has been a bit of a mixed bag. Some judges will have no problem with it (Bluecoats have had issues and bit hit hard a few times in the last couple of years) and others seem to get a free pass (Crown this year at finals). The Crown example, to me, is the most glaring...and they still won music ensemble.

A&E isn't going anywhere, but I do believe it will be reigned in a bit at the next rules congress. For example, I suspect that area microphones that are designed to amplify the brass/corps in general will be banned, and the rule re-worded to include only solo mics and/or mics for small ensembles.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

OK.

What should be happening is that all A&E should be unplugged.

But, if I were a director introducing this new technology, I'd want a LOOONNGG time to get it figured out during which I'd not be penalized if it doesn't work just right.

Exactly how long that takes is as subjective as the sheets themselves, but obviously longer than they've had so far.

I don't see the need to completely get rid of it. It just needs some limits. No synth bass, no amping a whole hornline. Limit mics to soloists only, allow FE to continue to be amped. Require backup mics when using wireless technology. Restrictions such as , but not limited to, the above would enhance the overall product rather than detract. 

As for the bolded text, I can understand that, but it's still total BS that it is the way it is right now. Accept the risk or don't use it.

And once corps DO start getting penalized for these type of malfunctions, they will be much more proactive in fixing and improving it.

edit: forgot to bold the text that I said I bolded

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

The Crown example, to me, is the most glaring...and they still won music ensemble.

Which is kind of sad. It really detracted from the performance. 

I agree that these type of issues should only reflect in GE and analysis captions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Can we at last agree on SOMETHING?  Or is this community bound and determined to be contrary for the sake of contrariness, despite all pretenses of rational thought and reason?

Sorry the users aren't rallying around you.  Could it be your premises were incorrect to begin with?

Mike

• Like 3

I'm not completely sure of how I view this. On one side, I do think that scores should judge the performance accurately and that if there was an A&E malfunction, it could ruin a moment. But on the other side, I can't help but feel sympathetic for corps going through something like that. Yes, A&E in a show is certainly risky, but not all accidents are their faults. For example, I was watching a show this past year after I had just performed where SCVC had no props due to their equipment trailer being destroyed (or something of that nature. Can't remember the details). It was pretty weird for members to stand around during the performance when they were obviously supposed to be behind props. Same thing with Bluecoats' electronic malfunction in 2016 semis. So I'm not completely sure whether or not judges' leniency towards this issue is a good or bad thing 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I'm not completely sure of how I view this. On one side, I do think that scores should judge the performance accurately and that if there was an A&E malfunction, it could ruin a moment. But on the other side, I can't help but feel sympathetic for corps going through something like that. Yes, A&E in a show is certainly risky, but not all accidents are their faults. For example, I was watching a show this past year after I had just performed where SCVC had no props due to their equipment trailer being destroyed (or something of that nature. Can't remember the details). It was pretty weird for members to stand around during the performance when they were obviously supposed to be behind props. Same thing with Bluecoats' electronic malfunction in 2016 semis. So I'm not completely sure whether or not judges' leniency towards this issue is a good or bad thing 

I personally think that punishing it will lead to smarter implementations from the get-go. 

• Like 3

Can we all agree on this at the very least?  Can we all agree that when a corps' electronics and amplifcation malfunctions in the middle of a performance, that the G.E. scores SHOULD acknowledge and reflect that?  Can we all agree that if A&E is going to be allowed, that it needs to be proportionately weighted into the scoring system?

Can we at last agree on SOMETHING?  Or is this community bound and determined to be contrary for the sake of contrariness, despite all pretenses of rational thought and reason?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I emphatically maintain that A&E should be banned entirely from the activity.  But if it's not going away and, more importantly, if it's going to continue to escalate, and to monopolize performances in the manner it does today, should it not be adjudicated and weighted into the scoring system accordingly?

mmmmm hmmmmm

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

No.  

But as long as you're here, why not join the discussion and answer the questions raised, rather than simply pad your post count with trolling pablum?

So far, this is all you've contributed to this thread. Some questions, and snark. Pot, meet kettle. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

No.  

But as long as you're here, why not join the discussion and answer the questions raised, rather than simply pad your post count with trolling pablum?

Because you are unwilling to engage in substantive debate and cannot avoid insults and amazing hyperbole.  And the post count was doing fine before you came along, and will long after you lose interest in flame-baiting the entire website, thanks.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I'm completely entertained... :fight:
(makes popcorn, continually refreshes page) 

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Try to look at it this way.  Amping up is a risk.  Something CAN go wrong.  It's no different than a soloist aiming for ledger lines above the staff.  The rest of the corps has no control over whether that soloist flubs or not.  And if a soloist stops a show dead in its tracks (and I'm sure I don't have to refer to the most obvious example of this in the history of DCI), that's gonna hurt the scores.  But today, when it happens with microphones and electronic equipment, it's being totally ignored.  That's just not right.  You can't objectively judge a corps' performance when the technology drowning out the corps' actual performance is malfunctioning to the point where it affects the quality of the performance (I was going to captialize and bold-print performance throughout, but it's probably not necessary).  Crown's finals run will almost certainly not be on the commemorative DVD.  Because of a technical difficulty.  So in years to come, Crown 17 will be represented by their semis run instead.  All because of a microphone that didn't affect their finals score one bit.  That MUST be reflected in the scores, or else the scores are beyond meaningless, and it truly does boil down to who can get away with the most deception through the electronics and not lose a signal in the process.

• Like 2