How About Some Common Ground?

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Absolutely, which is why it is silly that WW are not allowed. There should be no limits on instruments. I agree with you.

So apparently you also agree that the activity should no longer be called drum corps?

Or are you a hypocrite?

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Now imagine if all that energy could be put to better use raising some capital to help those DCI mms in Texas who have lost homes, places of work, need shelter/food/sanitation, etc.  He'd probably blame Hurricane Harvey on GH as well. :52_fearful:

And what are you doing?  Trying to use whatever headline you just read on the news as a false equivalency.   Where's YOUR generous contribution to flood relief?

For that matter, where's your generous contribution to Les Stentors?  At least THAT is relevant here.

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

No problem calling them drum corps. 

I'm not convinced that they should be called drum corps, believe band corps would be more appropriate. 

Just now, MikeD said:

No problem calling them drum corps. 

As I suspected.

You dishonor the spirit of the activity, and the memories of those who built everything you have helped destroy.  And it sickens me that you are complicit in the suppression of criticism of said dishonor by abusing your moderation powers in order to make this an echo chamber for the George Hopkins fan club.

• Haha 2

I watched Finals on Flomarching with my sister, who has not kept up on drum corps.  I also said that any glitches with a corps' electronics should be reflected in their GE scores, to which she emphatically responded that technical difficulties are beyond the control of the members so the members should not suffer the consequences.  Interesting point...but my sister is uninformed and generally not very bright...though I do love her dearly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Which may ultimately result in even more outrageous, over-the-top abuse of A&E utilized by corps for as long as it's sanctioned.  If they fail to recognize that even their staunchest fanboys are beginning to say "Um, guys, we love you and all, but.......don't you think all this A&E is starting to get out of hand?", then they risk alienating what's left of the hands that feed them.  You're seeing that sentiment here, you're seeing it in r/drumcorps, you're seeing it on Facebook, and you're even seeing it peppered among the comments of YouTube videos.  "I love modern drum corps, BUT....", or "I agree they need to reign in the A&E, BUT....."(each followed by meaningless words that contradict everything they typed prior to "but").

I mean, there's not that much farther to go in order to achieve Hopkins' ultimate vision for the activity.  He got rid of the bugles.  He got microphones and speakers approved.  He got synthesizers approved.  He got amplified singers and choirs approved. He got wireless mics and audio engineers approved.  He even got Cesario's ballerina costumes approved.  He changed the activity from "music and marching" to "CONSTANT, OVERPOWERING MOTION AND CAMPY DANCING, with a little music underneath the synths".  All that's really left on his checklist is marching woodwinds, and that's coming.

How much longer are sunshine-pumping fanboys going to ignore and deflect criticism of aspects of the activity they themselves abhor?  How much longer will hardcore fans and supporters of corps look the other way while a small number of individuals are sabotaging the very ethos of drum corps and ruining the longevity of the activity?  And I'm not just talking about Hopkins. I know many of you consider yourselves diehard fans and supporters of drum corps.  If that's true, then why don't you stop looking at the activity with the eyes of a blindingly loyal sycophant, and start looking at it objectively, with a little foresight and common sense?

And at the very least, can we also agree that a little foresight and common sense wouldn't hurt this activity?  Or are we going fundamentally disagree on that as well?

Yep, GH did that ALL on his own. 

• Haha 2

Live look into Bobby 

tenor.gif

Edited by Cappybara
  • Haha 4