Help Me Find a Good Corps?

Hey all,

I am a college junior who has been a marching percussionist for 7 years. I was interested in getting into DCI before my freshman year but  was unable to due to military commitments. However, I believe I will be able to march this summer and am trying to figure out what the best fit for someone like me would be. I am fairly experienced and realistically consider myself to be a pretty good player, but I know that making a top 12 corps is very hard without prior corps experience.

This will be both my rookie and age-out year, and making a corps will be fulfilling a goal and hope I've had for years. What corps is a good fit for a college student who has played snare for 7 years in a competitive high school group and a college band but not in a corps before? I would love to audition for as many as I can, but as with most people, time and money are a factor.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Guest Corpdog

From what you mentioned, I would recommend Academy or Mandarins. Both are well managed rising DCI corps who might be receptive to your talents.

I'm currently in Maryland. I can afford flights if I need to though. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, atoth said:

I'm currently in Maryland. I can afford flights if I need to though. Thanks!

So it really doesn't make sense to fly out west.  Going for broke, you could try Carolina Crown or Boston Crusades.  Being more conservative - Spirit of Atlanta.  Maybe a good middle ground would be Crossmen in Texas.  You might have a really good chance with Music City, which has applied for World Class status for 2018 and is really an up and coming corps.  Depending on your physical health and strength as well as your musicianship, you have a lot of choices.  With the top 12, it's probably going to depend on how many age outs the percussion section had.  Hope this is helpful!

15 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

So it really doesn't make sense to fly out west.  Going for broke, you could try Carolina Crown or Boston Crusades.  Being more conservative - Spirit of Atlanta.  Maybe a good middle ground would be Crossmen in Texas.  You might have a really good chance with Music City, which has applied for World Class status for 2018 and is really an up and coming corps.  Depending on your physical health and strength as well as your musicianship, you have a lot of choices.  With the top 12, it's probably going to depend on how many age outs the percussion section had.  Hope this is helpful!

RMT, you didn't mention Cadets? That's even closer than South Carolina or Florida for him.

• Like 1

Guest C.Holland

There's lots of good groups, it all depends on your budget.  Tour fees cost more than a car these days.  So check that out.

If you are a guy I would suggest Madison, or Cavies, but also Blue Stars or Crossmen.

If you don't make those lines, Music City, Spartans, Legends, and Raiders all are places that will give you a great experience.

16 hours ago, kkrepps said:

If you decide to go open class...7th Regiment's drum line is a hard working, tight knit group...and they know how to have fun with drumline battle and win it. Three time current champs LOL.

Want to be a part of a DCI Drum Corps? Learn more at: http://www.seventhregiment.org/join-2018/

16 hours ago, Guest C.Holland said:

There's lots of good groups, it all depends on your budget.  Tour fees cost more than a car these days.  So check that out.

If you are a guy I would suggest Madison, or Cavies, but also Blue Stars or Crossmen.

If you don't make those lines, Music City, Spartans, Legends, and Raiders all are places that will give you a great experience.

17 hours ago, xandandl said:

RMT, you didn't mention Cadets? That's even closer than South Carolina or Florida for him.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:29 PM, RetiredMusTeach said:

On 8/23/2017 at 8:27 PM, Guest Corpdog said:

From what you mentioned, I would recommend Academy or Mandarins. Both are well managed rising DCI corps who might be receptive to your talents.

Thank you all for the responses! I will definitely look into all of those. I'm open to open and world class; I know each group has its own unique experience available and I'd be blessed to be a part of any one of them! 

Thanks to all of you again!

• Like 2