2017 Favorite "Moments"

Blue Devils ballad. Can't ever get enough of it.

Bluecoats first whole corps swag on the stage at the beginning, the giant rotating circle before the ballad, and the ending. In fact, maybe my favorite part of the season was seeing the kids grinning and cheering after the show ended.

SCV opening, center ripple drill, and the ending. 

Blue Knights snare solo and their trademark rotating box drill. Also loved the use of gymnastics on the drum major stands during the open.

Cadets uniforms. Yeah, I know.

edit: Boston Wicked Game ballad, uniforms, and the subtle way they moved your visual attention around the field. 

There were things I liked in almost all of the shows, but these stick out for me.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

I also liked watching Jeff Prosperie judge on-field percussion on Finals night.  I was close enough that at times I could lip read what he was saying.  I like the fact that the dude, while being likely the best percussion judge in the activity, also just enjoys what the kids are doing in the moment.  Seeing him say stuff like, "WOW!!!"  "That was AMAZING!!!" or just having a huge grin on his face as if saying, "Yeah, that was cool!"  There were also plenty of times where he was moving around quickly, and down in what looked like a basketball defensive stance, as if he was trying to stop LeBron James from getting to the basket.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

I also liked watching Jeff Prosperie judge on-field percussion on Finals night.  I was close enough that at times I could lip read what he was saying.  I like the fact that the dude, while being likely the best percussion judge in the activity, also just enjoys what the kids are doing in the moment.  Seeing him say stuff like, "WOW!!!"  "That was AMAZING!!!" or just having a huge grin on his face as if saying, "Yeah, that was cool!"  There were also plenty of times where he was moving around quickly, and down in what looked like a basketball defensive stance, as if he was trying to stop LeBron James from getting to the basket.

I've always loved listening to his percussion tapes and those of JJ Pepitone. Quality of assessment, courtesy and respect for the performers at all times, great education and context, but especially energy and involvement in the show and performance. 

Some of his tapes for championships are on YT, especially Crown is worth listening to.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

There was one point at the end of SCV where they roll the props with the ensemble in them and JP was in a FULL OUT SPRINT to avoid getting run over by one of those wheels.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

There was one point at the end of SCV where they roll the props with the ensemble in them and JP was in a FULL OUT SPRINT to avoid getting run over by one of those wheels.

I saw that.  I was like Run Jeff Run! 

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Blue Devils ballad. Can't ever get enough of it.

Bluecoats first whole corps swag on the stage at the beginning, the giant rotating circle before the ballad, and the ending. In fact, maybe my favorite part of the season was seeing the kids grinning and cheering after the show ended.

Both pure gold.  Exhilarating! 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Both pure gold.  Exhilarating!

One of these days I'm going to get to a show and see BD when it's not 10:00 at night, and I'm not exhausted and brain fried from the week of 17, 13, 41, 25, 12 corps. I feel like sometimes I miss taking in a lot of enjoyment of them because of their placement.

• Like 1

There is a video "out there" with a 3 second shot of my son right after he finished his last competitive performance. The range of emotions, from absolute joy to the realization that 7 years of marching drum corps was over... That's one of the moments I'll never forget from 2017. 

• Like 9