Stentors : 30 YEARS - 30 DAYS - 30 000$ Campaign

I specifically choose the World Class forum in order to reach as much people as possible. 

The Stentors drum and bugle corps have launch their first annual donation campaign on August 13.  The goal is simple: raise enough funds to replace aging instruments. 

While many may not know who are the Stentors or have never witness us live, we have the priviledge to be the sole Canadian representative in competition. We are also the smallest corps on the field (33 in 2017), with the smallest fees (700$ US), one of the longest DCI tour amongst our Open class peers (31 days last summer), we probably do it with the the smallest budget out there but also play with the oldest instrument!   We are still using G bugles, many bought by Star of Indiana in the falls of 1984!!! 

We have been receive with enthousiasm everywhere we went last summer despite our small size and lower age of our members.

As we are turning 30 in 2018, we launch our campaign 30 DAYS to raise 30 000$ for our 30th Anniversary. There is 2 weeks left and much more to raise to get to our goal. 

We pride ourself on being responsable and operate within our means. But with the raising cost of fuel, food, housing, and such, replacing instrument become a challenge that we can overcome with your help. 

Most people just follow the lead of the campaign and give 30$. Just imagine the 30 000 people attending championship, each giving 30$.  What a difference it would make to us! It would not only replace aging instrument but give us the tools to grow every aspect of our operation, starting with the membership size! 

The link to the campaign is here and... it is in french!  But I am sure everyone can understand all the necessary to fill up what is needed! If not, feel free to send an email or text me. It will be my pleasure to help you out step by step. 

https://www.gofundme.com/stentors-30-jours30-ans30-000

Together for our youth!

Gabe Francoeur

President

Stentors Drum and Bugle Corps

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

(819) 578-5008

gabriel.francoeur@videotron.ca 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gabe92 said:

I specifically choose the World Class forum in order to reach as much people as possible. 

The Stentors drum and bugle corps have launch their first annual donation campaign on August 13.  The goal is simple: raise enough funds to replace aging instruments. 

While many may not know who are the Stentors or have never witness us live, we have the priviledge to be the sole Canadian representative in competition. We are also the smallest corps on the field (33 in 2017), with the smallest fees (700$ US), one of the longest DCI tour amongst our Open class peers (31 days last summer), we probably do it with the the smallest budget out there but also play with the oldest instrument!   We are still using G bugles, many bought by Star of Indiana in the falls of 1984!!! 

We have been receive with enthousiasm everywhere we went last summer despite our small size and lower age of our members.

As we are turning 30 in 2018, we launch our campaign 30 DAYS to raise 30 000$ for our 30th Anniversary. There is 2 weeks left and much more to raise to get to our goal. 

We pride ourself on being responsable and operate within our means. But with the raising cost of fuel, food, housing, and such, replacing instrument become a challenge that we can overcome with your help. 

Most people just follow the lead of the campaign and give 30$. Just imagine the 30 000 people attending championship, each giving 30$.  What a difference it would make to us! It would not only replace aging instrument but give us the tools to grow every aspect of our operation, starting with the membership size! 

The link to the campaign is here and... it is in french!  But I am sure everyone can understand all the necessary to fill up what is needed! If not, feel free to send an email or text me. It will be my pleasure to help you out step by step. 

https://www.gofundme.com/stentors-30-jours30-ans30-000

Together for our youth!

Gabe Francoeur

President

Stentors Drum and Bugle Corps

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

(819) 578-5008

gabriel.francoeur@videotron.ca 

bon chance,  mon ami.

Do we pay in Loonies or Sams?

I'm still trying to get Louise Penny to sneak Les Stentors in to one of her great mystery novels about the Eastern Townships. I loved Sherbrooke when I visited a while back. 

Rather than give money to a cause in which I no longer support or believe in, I would like to offer some advice.  There are repair techs throughout the U.S. and Canada who would be more than willing to refurbish your bugles at a fraction of the cost of purchasing a brand new line of B-flats and Fs.  But I realize you are under insurmountable pressure to ditch them for marching band gear, so I cannot begrudge you for trying to compete with the sellouts.

And as long as there is a corps representative viewing this site, allow me to say this.  Despite my feelings towards what corps directors have allowed DCI to become, I wish you and your corps the very best of luck.  While it's true I cannot abide the dancing and wallowing, the narration and amplification, and all the other gimmicks you've been pressured into embracing, I genuinely hope your organization survives the transition into Summer Guard.  I personally won't be watching or listening, but I sincerely hope you achieve success or, at the very least, continue to survive.  Good luck.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

Xandandl,

Merci beaucoup... ;-) 

It's in Canadian $$.  Let say you make a 30$ donation, only about 22$US will taken on your credit card  (0,70$US = 1$ CAN)

Of course we also accept more from those who can! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Rather than give money to a cause in which I no longer support or believe in, I would like to offer some advice.  There are repair techs throughout the U.S. and Canada who would be more than willing to refurbish your bugles at a fraction of the cost of purchasing a brand new line of B-flats and Fs.  But I realize you are under insurmountable pressure to ditch them for marching band gear, so I cannot begrudge you for trying to compete with the sellouts.

And as long as there is a corps representative viewing this site, allow me to say this.  Despite my feelings towards what corps directors have allowed DCI to become, I wish you and your corps the very best of luck.  While it's true I cannot abide the dancing and wallowing, the narration and amplification, and all the other gimmicks you've been pressured into embracing, I genuinely hope your organization survives the transition into Summer Guard.  I personally won't be watching or listening, but I sincerely hope you achieve success or, at the very least, continue to survive.  Good luck.

Thanks for your good words.  I understand your point of view as I am myself a traditionalist. The pressure to change and add equipement often come from ourself except when it's really broken.  Believe me when we buy things here, it's for the long run!

However there is other source of pressure such as housing, food, gas, insurance, transportation, ect.  

31 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

This is all the trappings of "Old man yells at cloud."

Bobby, we get it, you don't like A&E and multi-key   Going around and posting such across every dci forum thread is old already and doesn't serve to help your agenda  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Bobby, we get it, you don't like A&E and multi-key   Going around and posting such across every dci forum thread is old already and doesn't serve to help your agenda  

And yet Mssr. Francoeur chose not to lash out at a point of view that challenges the status quo, the way you just chose to.  You lot challenged me to address my concerns to corps representatives directly, and I have done so.  He handled it with grace and aplomb......why can't you?

If this forum truly is a place to share ideas about drum corps, then stop trying to refute or censor my ideas.  If, on the other hand, this forum is solely to serve as an echo chamber for how great and wonderful and successful you THINK the activity is today, then come clean and say so, so I can stop wasting my time and energy on a lost cause.  Stop suspending me for standing up to the trolls who have you on their side, and start enforcing the TOS fairly and equally.  Otherwise, the whole thing is a sham, and this website deserves the horrible reputation it has received elsewhere for being a sunshine pumping love letter to WGI.

That said, this isn't the place for this particular discussion.  If you truly support the activity as it exists today, and if you won't abide any expression of views, opinions or ideas that challenge said support, then put your money where your mouth is and donate to this cause.  And that goes for everyone else.  Prove me wrong.  Prove to me that you lot are not a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.  If the activity is as healthy and successful and secure as you want to believe it is, then open your wallets and make sure this corps never has to blow another bugle ever again.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

2 hours ago, Gabe92 said:

We pride ourself on being responsable and operate within our means.

You have no idea how wonderful and refreshing it is to read the words, 'being responsible and operate within our means', written by a DCI corps director!!!  My prayer is that your campaign is so ever fruitful!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

If this forum truly is a place to share ideas about drum corps, then stop trying to refute or censor my ideas.  If, on the other hand, this forum is solely to serve as an echo chamber for how great and wonderful and successful you THINK the activity is today, then come clean and say so, so I can stop wasting my time and energy on a lost cause.  Stop suspending me for standing up to the trolls who have you on their side, and start enforcing the TOS fairly and equally.  Otherwise, the whole thing is a sham, and this website deserves the horrible reputation it has received elsewhere for being a sunshine pumping love letter to WGI.

This has to be the first time in the history of the internets that DCP has been described as a "love letter to WGI". Thank you for bringing a smile to my face this Friday afternoon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toby said:

The response from Gabe92 was diplomatic, and rightly so being the director of a corps.  But notice that while there was a polite thanks for the advice to start, by the end of the reply Gabe92 also pointed out they have other way more practical pressing issues besides just a desire to stay with old worn-out G bugles.  Smooth......

• Like 1