2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

2 hours ago, larry p said:

They did change a little. They go by highest score no matter which class.

Interesting. I think if this rule had been in place in some prior years that White Sabers and Govenaires might have come out of championships with higher scores.

28 minutes ago, larry p said:

dear x,

couldn't you have said that a little nicer. Lothar was a friend (to all).

That was tragic. I still have my black ribbon from my uni at finals in '05

32 minutes ago, larry p said:

dear x,

couldn't you have said that a little nicer. Lothar was a friend (to all).

Yeah 

Edited by Jim Schehr

9 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That was tragic. I still have my black ribbon from my uni at finals in '05

Me too, but ours was plaid. There was also one tied to the frame of our truck for a long time. I know it survived the switch to our new trailer a few years ago, but I am not sure if it is still in there now.

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

How odd that the Guvies are set off from the rest of their class by the intermission (as if the judges can't hold it for one more corps.) One might think that better judging standards would have the whole class together uninterrupted. It's almost like BOA rigidity.

I don't like that either.  That disrupts the flow of Class A. I doubt allowing one more performance in that block would have mattered.  Oh well. When I'm the goddess of drum corps, I'll fix it.  

:laughing:

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

A change that DCI needs to implement for World Championship Preliminaries as well.

I disagree. Semifinals are reverse order of scores but I believe that prelims on Thursday should remain as is. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

There is a highly respected prelims judging panel that I have no doubt will do their jobs just fine. It shouldn't matter where a corps performs in prelims relative to the competition. I believe we will all see exactly what I'm talking about with respect to CT and their current seeding. 

I've attended many TOC shows whereas BD or Crown and others top competitors have gone on first amidst stiff competition and won. 

IMO where a corps goes on in prelims is not a guarantee that the higher seed will defeat the lower if the judges are adjudicating based on individual corps performance. If not then we're all wasting our time and money by even attending in the first place. 

• Like 1

On the one hand, judges are human, and even if they don't mean to, it's sure they at least subconsciously rely on performance order as a loose guide to relative quality.

On the other hand, mixing it up can make for more surprises.

• Like 1