2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

4 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

There is a highly respected prelims judging panel that I have no doubt will do their jobs just fine. It shouldn't matter where a corps performs in prelims relative to the competition. I believe we will all see exactly what I'm talking about with respect to CT and their current seeding. 

I've attended many TOC shows whereas BD or Crown and others top competitors have gone on first amidst stiff competition and won. 

IMO where a corps goes on in prelims is not a guarantee that the higher seed will defeat the lower if the judges are adjudicating based on individual corps performance. If not then we're all wasting our time and money by even attending in the first place. 

The DCA shows I've been to this summer... the judges have made many very good calls, based on what they saw/heard at a given show, not what happened a week or two (or more) before. So CT should be fine, regardless of where they perform.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spandy said:

But the Class A corps can still qualify for voting membership if they get one of the 10 highest scores, and having them automatically go on before all open class corps could be disadvantageous in that regard.

except that judges get to hold numbers until breaks in case they need to adjust. So no, it can be a plus

I think this year in particular, seeding doesn't really mean a hill of beans.  So many shows have gotten cancelled, resulting in some serious head scratching regarding seeding.   I often wonder what scores would look like if: a) performance order was determined totally at random, by corps drawing numbers out of a hat or something along those lines; and/or b) what scores would look like if the judges had absolutely no idea whom they were judging.  I've seen more than one instance over the years where corps sometimes seem to get a "free pass", particularly in the early season, based on who they are and where they finished the previous season as well as some corps who seemed to have been held back for the same reason.  I'm just looking forward to a great weekend filled with fantastic performances by some incredibly dedicated and talented individuals!  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

except that judges get to hold numbers until breaks in case they need to adjust. So no, it can be a plus

That's the thing though, if Govies go on with the rest of class A first, then they wouldn't be in the same block as the open class corps they are actually scoring closer to. Their score would already be locked in.

Obviously there will never be a perfect system, but considering there are very real benefits at stake for making top 10 regardless of class (full DCA membership, cash bonus), I like that seeding is also done regardless of class.

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 1

Who ever planned the prelimn's out ? 5 groups before first inter,then 7 groups in the 2nd stage ,and 6 groups in 3rd stage .Wouldn\t it have been better with 1st group 6 ,2nd group 6 ,3 group 6 sounds like a better  flow than what they did here?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grumpy said:

I think this year in particular, seeding doesn't really mean a hill of beans.  So many shows have gotten cancelled, resulting in some serious head scratching regarding seeding.   I often wonder what scores would look like if: a) performance order was determined totally at random, by corps drawing numbers out of a hat or something along those lines; and/or b) what scores would look like if the judges had absolutely no idea whom they were judging.  I've seen more than one instance over the years where corps sometimes seem to get a "free pass", particularly in the early season, based on who they are and where they finished the previous season as well as some corps who seemed to have been held back for the same reason.  I'm just looking forward to a great weekend filled with fantastic performances by some incredibly dedicated and talented individuals!  

honestly, this year is kinda by random. But with judges being able to hold numbers, performance order holds much less weight than it used to. We've seen in the TOC shows in DCI BD can go on first and still win

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Who ever planned the prelimn's out ? 5 groups before first inter,then 7 groups in the 2nd stage ,and 6 groups in 3rd stage .Wouldn\t it have been better with 1st group 6 ,2nd group 6 ,3 group 6 sounds like a better  flow than what they did here?

don't use logic. it's prelims :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spandy said:

That's the thing though, if Govies go on with the rest of class A first, then they wouldn't be in the same block as the open class corps they are actually scoring closer to. Their score would already be locked in.

Obviously there will never be a perfect system, but considering there are very real benefits at stake for making top 10 regardless of class (full DCA membership, cash bonus), I like that seeding is also done regardless of class.

here's the thing....it's all the same sheets. All the same numbers. Just like at any other show. And since score determines voting status they have to be ranked and rated regardless of class.Looking at their scores this year and in the past, they'll do just fine wherever they go on.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

Maybe someone has issues with 666.   

It wouldn\t be the devil by chance would it.LOL