2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

I would be curious to get a viewpoint on this from the Govies; who were around and competitive before there was Class A, have been in Class A for years, went to Open last year, opted to go back to Class A this year.  Personally, I try to see all the corps at prelims.  I have also known those who choose to wait until the first or even the second intermission to arrive because they only want to see the top 6 or 8 or whatever.  But I also think Class A serves a purpose, as has been stated earlier if nothing else, against groups of like size it gives you some measure of bragging rights.  IIRC, DCA also mandated that when corps come back from inactive status that they have to come back into Class A (like Sky did several years back).  Also not necessarily a bad thing.  As far as the argument does 66 really sound that much different than 65, well the same argument can be applied to almost any rule...does 129 members really sound much different than 128, in DCI does a member that's ONE DAY beyond the age limit really make a difference compared to his one day younger counterpart, really Officer, is 66 mph really that much different than 65 mph, etc.  Any time you are placing a limitation on something, there has to be a "line" drawn, and it needs to be adhered to or the lines eventually become so blurred that they then become meaningless.  A perfect example is a condominium complex I recently moved out of, where the rules enforcement became so lax that there is now no enforcement and the residents all do as they please because they know there will be no ramifications.  The governing body loses the respect of those they govern.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure there is not a mandate to come back in Class A. Sky in 2014 started back in open because of their size, Cadets 2 also started in open class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

A good trend, for sure.

Govies every year... White Sabers in their last few years in A (early on, IMO they were one of the "trying to do too much with too little" corps until they changed course) ... and now Cincy Tradition, Erie, among others.  Writing for what they have.

exactly. I would hope, if DCA started getting more A Class corps again, they'd allow more to perform  at finals

52 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

I would be curious to get a viewpoint on this from the Govies; who were around and competitive before there was Class A, have been in Class A for years, went to Open last year, opted to go back to Class A this year.  Personally, I try to see all the corps at prelims.  I have also known those who choose to wait until the first or even the second intermission to arrive because they only want to see the top 6 or 8 or whatever.  But I also think Class A serves a purpose, as has been stated earlier if nothing else, against groups of like size it gives you some measure of bragging rights.  IIRC, DCA also mandated that when corps come back from inactive status that they have to come back into Class A (like Sky did several years back).  Also not necessarily a bad thing.  As far as the argument does 66 really sound that much different than 65, well the same argument can be applied to almost any rule...does 129 members really sound much different than 128, in DCI does a member that's ONE DAY beyond the age limit really make a difference compared to his one day younger counterpart, really Officer, is 66 mph really that much different than 65 mph, etc.  Any time you are placing a limitation on something, there has to be a "line" drawn, and it needs to be adhered to or the lines eventually become so blurred that they then become meaningless.  A perfect example is a condominium complex I recently moved out of, where the rules enforcement became so lax that there is now no enforcement and the residents all do as they please because they know there will be no ramifications.  The governing body loses the respect of those they govern.

Govies never actually appeared at DCA until there was a Class A, and had been for a few years. 

and yes fans will show up when fans show up. To some, 40 corps over 2 days is too much. Some only care about big and loud and/or good. It's the nature of the beast. You see it in DCI, and even in the random order days, the non members went on first, and you would see the crowd size pick up when the members were getting ready to go on. Nothing drum corps in any circuit can do that will ever change how people show up to see corps.

However there is no mandate that I am aware of about coming back in A, as Sky came back in Open. Class is set by size and size alone.

36 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I am pretty sure there is not a mandate to come back in Class A. Sky in 2014 started back in open because of their size, Cadets 2 also started in open class. 

Definitely no mandate.  A corps decides whichever class is best for them.

Like you said about Sky... some have no choice if they start out over the 65-member limit.

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Govies never actually appeared at DCA until there was a Class A, and had been for a few years. 

Yep... 2004 was their first year at championships.

And they pre-date DCA by decades.  LOL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep... 2004 was their first year at championships.

And they pre-date DCA by decades.  LOL.

but did John do the same intro all those years?

:laughing:

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

but did John do the same intro all those years?

:laughing:

LOL... I wonder if their DM in 1930 was working the crowd!!! :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

exactly. I would hope, if DCA started getting more A Class corps again, they'd allow more to perform  at finals

Four out of five is a pretty good percentage