2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That's because they "backed up the truck" and got really serious about being competitive.  I have to think getting beat by Kilties in 97 at DCM championships was a HUGE wake up call.  

I was there that night....it was bonkers. One of the few times the seniors totally eclipsed the DCI corps in DCM...

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

I was there that night....it was bonkers. One of the few times the seniors totally eclipsed the DCI corps in DCM...

I remember the reaction on RAMD

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The Boys were the first Midwestern corps to make DCA Finals, in 1970. A pioneer. 

Then MBI began making the trek in the 1970s, and then again from the mid-80s on. They took their lumps for a while (remember the old "MIdwest Penalty"???  LOL)... then gradually began to kick the door down!!!

I remember reading about those DCM shows, and wishing the Govies would someday come East. I'm glad they finally did.

"Skokie Indians":

WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY "Back in the day " the MidWest had a "Threepeat" Legion National Champ in the form of the old Skokie Indians.  They beat the best seniors of the day 1955-57 for the "Orange Flag", and their streak was only stopped by Hawthorne in 1958.

They became the "Men of Brass" senior corps in the mid 1960's and did try to mix it up with the early DCA pack, sadly without much success.

Elphaba      :flower:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

"Skokie Indians":

WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY "Back in the day " the MidWest had a "Threepeat" Legion National Champ in the form of the old Skokie Indians.  They beat the best seniors of the day 1955-57 for the "Orange Flag", and their streak was only stopped by Hawthorne in 1958.

They became the "Men of Brass" senior corps in the mid 1960's and did try to mix it up with the early DCA pack, sadly without much success.

Correct.  In 72, we practiced at the Skokie American legion post on Lincoln avenue, where an entire trophy case was filled with trophies and awards given to the Skokie Indians.  Lots of photos, too.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just sat there and snickered.   Jim was in the Kilties that year.  

Amazing considering we were only an alumni corps in those days.  After 22 years as kiltie Senior, they never could figure out how to be a competitive corps and finally folded to never ever return. They should have stayed an alumni corps. 

12 hours ago, larry p said:

I love how this started with prelim schedule.

visit rehearsal. You'll be entertained. 

I am stunned that a thread on DCP has wandered off the rails. :ninja:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I am stunned that a thread on DCP has wandered off the rails. :ninja:

Well, there's only so much you can say about the order of performances for Saturday.

And further off topic, don't forget to come catch the Caballeros at the annual performance on the river, Friday night at 9:30. Feel free to grab me and say hi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Skokie Indians":

did they ever come in to finals weekend? I dont remember seeing them on the historical scores site