2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Chainlink fence props for Skyliners as they open their show with the brass calling back and forth with the pit.

Reminded me of Bushwackers' props from 2014, except these were painted white.

7 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Sorry to show my ignorance but can someone tell me what the difference is in all-ages corps between open class and world class?  Is it the size of the corps?  Thanks.

Yes, as others have mentioned, there is a minimum size of 30 for all corps. There is a maximum size of 65 for Class A corps. However, smaller corps can choose to compete in Open Class.

(Also, I believe that, unlike in DCI, drum majors don't count toward the total in DCA. But I could be wrong about that, as about other things.)

6 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

Oh, I like this singing [near the end of Kidsgrove's show].

Seemed to be amped, a little, via the sideline microphones nearest the two groups.

6 hours ago, ErieSopMike said:

It'd definitely be a challenge to get this done.  Kids in college and stuff, but I remain hopeful that someday a DCA corps will make their way over.

After DCA suspended Renegades for year, that corps announced they'd be attending DCE championships the following season. Didn't happen, though.

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, as others have mentioned, there is a minimum size of 30 for all corps. There is a maximum size of 65 for Class A corps. However, smaller corps can choose to compete in Open Class.

(Also, I believe that, unlike in DCI, drum majors don't count toward the total in DCA. But I could be wrong about that, as about other things.)

35 is the minimum, but the rest is correct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Hmm... title announced was not what was on Flo's "what you'll hear" reps. Did C2 change gears mid season?

Was any title announced? The announcer asked C2'd DMs if their corps was ready, and as usual with Cadets for the past several years, there was no salute. (Why is that?) And nothing further from the announcer. I'm listening to it again right now and I don't hear the show title announced.

Niagra Falls! 2000 actually 

I had the same, "Wait a minute, I know that piece" experience last year upon seeing my old high school band's show. Their theme was "The Elements" and for the section on water, that's what they played.

Is the color pre a requirement of DCA or just a continued custom?

Not a requirement, but there will be an award for Best Honor Guard at Finals. (White Sabers have won every time since the departure of Empire Statesmen, I think.) I don't think the honor guard counts toward the corps size. Also I believe that if a corps does have an honor guard, they can be penalized for not following proper flag decorum.

• Like 1

What the what, Atlanta CV?!?  This is hot!

Before they performed, there were skeptics near me, who wondered if their performance slot was due to poor judging down south. One minute into their show, all doubts were clearly gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikah said:

What does the yellow cummerbund mean? Anyone know?

I thought it was just a mistake: velcro coming loose for two members about halfway through the show.