2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Govies never actually appeared at DCA until there was a Class A, and had been for a few years

With DCM in steady decline and closing down operations there really wasn't much of a choice. 

27 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Four out of five is a pretty good percentage 

All skate.  LOL

2 hours ago, BigW said:

The Govies had been competing via DCM in our era, Fran versus the likes of what is now MBI (then Brass, Inc.) and the Boys of '76 out of Racine. The latter 2 did come to DCA weekend, just not the Govies.

The Boys were the first Midwestern corps to make DCA Finals, in 1970. A pioneer. 

Then MBI began making the trek in the 1970s, and then again from the mid-80s on. They took their lumps for a while (remember the old "MIdwest Penalty"???  LOL)... then gradually began to kick the door down!!!

I remember reading about those DCM shows, and wishing the Govies would someday come East. I'm glad they finally did.

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

I think it's pretty clear that Jeff is referring to the years Class A has had more corps, like in 2010 when it was bigger than Open Class

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Yes but in the past 4 out of 11 got in while 95% of the open class corps got in

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

The Boys were the first Midwestern corps to make DCA Finals, in 1970. A pioneer. 

Then MBI began making the trek in the 1970s, and then again from the mid-80s on. They took their lumps for a while (remember the old "MIdwest Penalty"???  LOL)... then gradually began to kick the door down!!!

I remember reading about those DCM shows, and wishing the Govies would someday come East. I'm glad they finally did.

I remember finally seeing them in 99 when DCA held the show at Camp Randall the afternoon of finals. First time ever seeing Chops too.

and I immediately called people back east and warned them MBI was no slouch 

I love how this started with prelim schedule.

visit rehearsal. You'll be entertained. 

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I remember finally seeing them in 99 when DCA held the show at Camp Randall the afternoon of finals. First time ever seeing Chops too.

A breakthrough year for them in '99... 4th (after their first Top 5 in '98) , and the first time they beat the Caballeros.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes but in the past 4 out of 11 got in while 95% of the open class corps got in

Sounds like the old DCM back when it was Div. 2/3.   Hardly any of them made the night show but every single open class corps made finals....gee, I wonder why?...:34_rolling_eyes:

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

That's because they "backed up the truck" and got really serious about being competitive.  I have to think getting beat by Kilties in 97 at DCM championships was a HUGE wake up call.  

Edited by Terri Schehr