My long, long, LONG review

Great job, Nikk! I was unable to attend because I marched in Kingston, NY last weekend. You made it feel like I was in Orlando with you. You have such a way with words. Can't wait for the DVD's. :)

Maybe you could come to Scranton, PA Labor Day weekend and give the seniors a review! It would be great to get an unbiased, educated opinion. :ph34r:

PS -- When are you going to bring back NikkNakks to DCWorld? I miss that column and your tour diary from Phantom the years you marched.:D

I'll never forget the story about someone obliterating a judge in 1992 as he was making comments (apparently you could hear someone yell "Drill" to get the attention of the judge). Said judge goes for a tumble and picks himself up and says that the corps would "pay' for it. You have to bring that column back and finish the stories! :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My quirky awards:

Best Visual Design: Cavaliers

Best Music Book: Phantom Regiment

Best Corps Uniform: tie: Phantom Regiment/Blue Devils

Best Guard Uniform: Cavaliers

Best Visual Move: The Cavaliers' winding/unwinding (beginning and end)

Best Brass lick: When the low brass kicks in during Wild Nights (Phantom Regiment)

Best Percussion lick: ANYTHING THE CADETS DID...holy heck!

Best Finals Review: Nikk!

And thanks for the background on yourself. I was reading one of your other posts earlier and was thinking you were PhD material. Yes indeed!

Great review Nick...gotta agree with what you said about Phantom's total package this year....it was musical and very appropriate. I think too many drum corps nowadays (crap...now I feel old) move for the sake of moving and don't really consider how it affects their show musically. I think of all the corps I saw this year, PR had the right mix of musicality and visual presence. I also agree with what you said about MY beloved Bluecoats....they are an up and coming musical group. 3 years in 7th place scares me a little, but I think a leap into the top 5 is not too far off for them.

Great review, I enjoyed.

Nikk,

You had me nervous at the DCP get together on Saturday.. what was I worried about?

Fantastic review.. reading it was like being there -- oh wait.. I WAS! :)

Thanks again (now you know I'm going to be contacting you soon.. :;')

Nikk,

Thanks for the very in-depth review. It's one of the best I've ever read - and that comes from someone who won a gRAMDie for best review back in the day. :)

I really wish I could have been there to see Regiment and their new closer. I didn't get to see them at all this summer. :( Tell them to come through Texas EVER year, will ya?!

1. How could you be a lead bari with a Euphonium?

Back when the corps had both baritones and euphoniums, the horns were spread throughout the section. I played euph all three years, but was on the 3rd part in 94, split 2nd/lead in 96, and lead in 98. The section, as a whole, was usually just referred to as the baritones.

Michael Oldemeyer

You dont by chance have a review of Division II and III Finals do you?

Sorry...I was going to head on over there on Saturday morning...but certain events from the previous night led to certain conditions the following morning that...er...made moving around problematic and painful until well after noon.

Ahem.

You dont by chance have a review of Division II and III Finals do you?

Sorry...I was going to head on over there on Saturday morning...but certain events from the previous night led to certain conditions the following morning that...er...made moving around problematic and painful until well after noon.

Ahem.

Your liver must have been protesting its existence... :lol: