My long, long, LONG review

Nikk, Great review! Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet up with you and the rest of the DCPrs at the get together, but I was a bit busy.

It truly amazes me that people just gripe about the Cavalier Guard Uniforms when at least 6 other corps wore the same type of uniforms and as revealing. OH WELL...Just glad that the summer was fun and exciting!!!!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikk,

First of all... excellent review. Now to answer one of the questions you posed... Pat Miller is the drill writer for the Glassmen. He's been on visual staff there since '97, and took over drill writing with the departure of Jamie Thompson, whom someone already mentioned is the drill writer for Madison. Just to correct what that person said, Jeremy Hunt is one of the visual caption heads at Madison as far as I know, not just a tech.

Jim

You dont by chance have a review of Division II and III Finals do you?

Sorry...I was going to head on over there on Saturday morning...but certain events from the previous night led to certain conditions the following morning that...er...made moving around problematic and painful until well after noon.

Ahem.

So that is why you were so quiet at the DCP party! It was good to meet you and wish we had had a chance to visit.

What a great review......wish you had written it before the show!!

I marched for four years with the Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps.  From 1991 to 1993 I was lead baritone with the corps (even though I played Euphonium) and placed in the top 3 at 5 different Individual & Ensemble Competitions (DCM and DCI), winning 2 of them.  In 1994 I was one of two field conductors (a phancy name for Drum Major) for Regiment.

1. How could you be a lead bari with a Euphonium?

I remember sometime in the early 90's when ALL of the Phantom lowers played euphs because they were all too #### LOUD and overpowering for those wimpy baris. Was that your year, Nikk? b**bs

I marched for four years with the Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps.  From 1991 to 1993 I was lead baritone with the corps (even though I played Euphonium) and placed in the top 3 at 5 different Individual & Ensemble Competitions (DCM and DCI), winning 2 of them.  In 1994 I was one of two field conductors (a phancy name for Drum Major) for Regiment.

1. How could you be a lead bari with a Euphonium?

I remember sometime in the early 90's when ALL of the Phantom lowers played euphs because they were all too #### LOUD and overpowering for those wimpy baris. Was that your year, Nikk? b**bs

I don't recall. All the years I marched, we had euphoniums mixed in with baritones. In 1991, the lead line was:

Myself - Euphonium

Grant Dawson - Baritone

Tim Gray - Baritone

Grady Robertson - Euphonium

Lori Merner - Baritone

Matt Chapman - Euphonium

So basically, the lead line was half and half. I think that by 1993, the entire lead bari section was marching on Euphs. In 1991, out of the 20 members of the "baritone" section, I think 10 were actually on Euphonium. (Check out the picture...I'm the 3rd from the right, kneeling down. Check out the SIZE of my freaking horn, man...that thing was a beeyotch to carry. It was the experimental DEG prototype...I was the guinea pig. To this day, my left pinky is still the same size as my right thumb due to that beast. But oh man...what a sweet sound.)

91baris.jpg

By the way, another DCPer, fellow former drum major Aaron Ozminski, can be found in the back row, 2nd from the right. Another fellow former drum major, Grant Dawson, is 3rd from the left on the top row. By the way, this was a great bari line...Lori Merner (top row, leftmost), Tim Gray (second row, rightmost), and myself all won either DCI or DCM baritone titles from 1991-1993. Also, though I haven't seen him in a while online, Matt Markham is dead smack in the middle of the bottom row.

This is a picture from the end of the opener in 1991...you can see how large the horn is. I always remembered the Cavaliers marching those tiny tiny little baritones, and feeling envious of them. Then again, I was a beast on that beast. HONK!

:P

pose.jpg

Edited by Tsar Nikk