DCA's; Staff/Instructor Noise That Interferes with Show

OMG I can't speak for DCA as I never witnessed this but at the DCI shoes I attended over many years it was always a huge problem and yes it was always seem to evolve around the gaurd instructors .

yiu can probably go back and find where I posted something about a certain Gaurd instructor from The Cadets sans about 2007 ish in Murfreesboro Tn where I finally told the usher to shut her yap or I would ! 

The Usher made it clear to her to #### her pie hole . One more whoop on a catch and I was going to go off on her ! Seriously ! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Guard staff tend to be the worst. For some staff, it seems like every single catch deserves excessive praise.

Of course, what that implies to the audience is that the guard usually drops.

Like Jim says, "aren't they supposed to catch it?" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Not all corps staffs were guilty of this.  However, you will be happy to know the corps staff viewing area has been moved for this weekend. It's in the upper deck now. 

so a different area of fans get to experience it?

People, think about the opportunity you're overlooking here. Want to boost attendance at DCA shows? Well, a lot of hockey fans go to see the fights, right?

Why not let the fans and staff show up to competitions with bluefish clubs, brass knuckles, baseball bats and such. Whatever they want (firearms and explosives excluded, of course). What better motivation for corps members themselves to blow the walls down with a ballsy performance than the chance to see their staff get all riled up in response, to the point that it just torques the fans off, causing all hell to break out. I know the guys and gals I taught when I was there would have just loved seeing me torn limb from limb for the crap I made them play.

I personally know many fans who want to beat the crap out of staffs for no other reason than the esoteric shows they've been offering up over the last decade or two. Think of all the drum corps purists who don't go to shows anymore. They'd FLOCK back if they thought they could break some knees on a Saturday night under the stars in the name of old time drum corps and get away with it.

And I know Fran would do a bang up job doing blow-by-blow commentary. It could be awesome.

Just my opinion.

Edited by DaveChina

2 minutes ago, DaveChina said:

People, think about the opportunity you're overlooking here. Want to boost attendance at DCA shows? Well, a lot of hockey fans go to see the fights, right?

Why not let the fans and staff show up to competitions with bluefish clubs, brass knuckles, baseball bats and such. Whatever they want (firearms and explosives excluded, of course). What better motivation for corps members themselves to blow the walls down with a ballsy performance than the chance to see their staff get all riled up in response, to the point that it just torques the fans off then and all hell breaks out. I know the guys and gals I taught when I was there would have just loved seeing me torn limb from limb for the crap I made them play.

I personally know many fans who want to beat the crap out of staffs for no other reason than the esoteric shows they've been offering up over the last decade or two. Think of all the drum corps purists who don't go to shows anymore. They'd FLOCK back if they thought they could break some knees on a Saturday night under the stars in the name of old time drum corps and get away with it.

And I know Fran would do a bang up job doing blow-by-blow commentary. It could be awesome.

Just my opinion.

Or you could go back to old school drum corps.... Thunderbirds are still on G bugles and no electronics.... It can be done.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:37 AM, BigW said:

Good Luck with that. I think you need to do a mental rewind and remember when YOU were out on the field and appreciated reactions from YOUR staff during YOUR performances and re-consider.

When 'I' was on the field with a DCA corps for 5 seasons 'I' had no idea where 'My' staff was during performances and nor did I care.  

the staffs who do this act like it's a private performance just for them with no regard for anything or anyone else 

• Like 1

I was on the left 48 near the top of the upper deck and did not notice this problem today.

After witnessing a near fist fight in the stands between a couple of fans and the staff  of a corps that is now departed at a local show some years back, I sent the corps director an e-mail asking him to rein in his staff's enthusiasm.  I did receive a response from him, thanking me for bringing it to his attention, apologizing for their actions and that he would address the issue with his staff.  Whether that actually happened I have no idea, but at least it made me feel better that he acknowledged my viewpoint.

This whole issue is nothing new, it was pretty bad back when finals were at were at the baseball field in Scranton several years back.  IIRC, Mickey & Co. had to get involved in that one  told the staffs to cool it.  The main thing to remember here is this: the fans PAID, please respect that.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 6:48 PM, Kamarag said:

Not all corps staffs were guilty of this.  However, you will be happy to know the corps staff viewing area has been moved for this weekend. It's in the upper deck now. 

Where they can distract the judging panel.  (JK, sort of)

On 9/1/2017 at 11:24 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Guard staff tend to be the worst. For some staff, it seems like every single catch deserves excessive praise.

Of course, what that implies to the audience is that the guard usually drops.

It's not just drum corps staff either. I deal with it at high school shows too. As an instructor, but also as a spectator, I have had conversations with guard instructors to basically tell them to "shut their pie holes" and that's the nice way of me saying it. It's a real inconvenience when I'm in charge of recording videos of my students or other schools and a staff member is right beside me just ruining the experience not to mention my recordings.