Nashville's The Smoking Section

It's offseason, so nothing better than perusing new and crazy amazing brass arrangements. 

The Smoking Section is a collection of elite Nashville session players. They perform together as a 15 member band once every six weeks or so only in Music City, to packed houses. And you will quickly discover why.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This group, as well as Loud Horns and Here Come the Mummies, are all great horn bands based out of the Nashville area.  They all have great arranging of melody, phrasing, and groove; Music that breathes with a wonderful flow; and they are all Hot Players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Never heard of them, but they are great.  Will have to plan a trip to visit family in Nashville around any concerts by Smoking Section.

I used to work with many of the players. Mark Baldwin (guitar) played in my wedding. Tom Hemby (guitar), Mark Douthit (sax) and Donna McElroy (Bgv) played on dozens of albums I promoted while working at Word. (That's Donna singing lead. She was the top Bgv singer for Amy Grant for a decade.) Blair Masters (keys) and his wife Karthi were in our young marrieds Bible study when we were young marrieds.

Their version of Uptown Funk is worth the price of admission.

They play at 3rd and Lindsley. Gotta get tix online to get in, and get there early.

Edited by MikeRapp

You never know who might show up at a Nashville show. Vince Gill is a regular at Smoking Section and Eaglemaniacs shows. (Many of the Smoking Section guys also play in Eaglemaniacs.). In fact, Vince's performance of "I Can't Tell You Why" here in Nashville with Eaglemaniacs earned him the lead in the Eagles' recent reunion tour.

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

perusing new and crazy amazing brass arrangements.

Enjoy.  These incredible musicians remind me of Cinematic Orchestra, especially at 3:06 to the end.