Nashville's The Smoking Section

Glad to see a thread on The Smoking Section on DCP! I have seen them probably about 20 times (although I missed last night's show), and they are THE REAL DEAL. They put on a fantastic, fun show at the best small venue in Nashville (3rd & Lindsley). The depth of talent in Music City is incredible; even when they have subs in the band (which is often because these are A-list folks and in demand) and they are SIGHT-READING these complex charts, there is no noticeable drop-off in quality! They are one of many awesome bands in Nashville along with the Eaglemaniacs (Eagles and Don Henley), Twelve Against Nature (Steely Dan / Donald Fagan), Make Me Smile (Chicago), Live From Ventura Boulevard (70s soft rock), Vinyl Radio (70s classic rock), Soul Cages (Sting / The Police), The Long Players, The Bottom 40 (progressive fusion jazz), The Tom Hemby Band (contemporary jazz), on and on. As others have said, Nashville isn't just country music!

If the Adele cover isn't your thing, check out what they did with Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off":

• Like 1

The Smoking Section never rehearses. I saw a show once where they played an EWF song and then goofed around starting the intro to what we all know is the next song in the album, Hearts of Fire, and then the rest of the band picked it up and played the rest of that song to the end, PERFECTLY.

• Like 1