2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I'm no means a DCA expert but I do remember once upon a time that DCA had some limit on how many additional members could march in championships against how many were counted in the line for contests in the first weekend of August or August first. Maybe they still do?  The increase of membership wasn't just the addition of DCI members to various corps but DCA veterans who sat out most of the summer and jumped in the final two weeks to add a screamer, a soloist, or some bolstered section (95 contras for instance or adding past championship flags carried in the honor guard.)

I concur with Fran that this has been going at least since DCA became All-Age rather than Senior corps. Even back then it sometimes happened I've heard.

Getting older I can understand that completely, old knees can do a few hours of running around a field, not 20 plus hours over a weekend.  I have heard several people say that they would do it if they didn't have to beat up their knees practicing all summer.  However I think the mms who practice hard all summer might have issues with a part time member of a Part time corps.  I wonder if most of the last minute additions pay their full dues or if they just comp them to fill the ranks and make the corps as a whole better?  Then you wonder if someone might be on the fence and just waiting for an emergency last minute call so they can march without paying dues.   

3 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

Getting older I can understand that completely, old knees can do a few hours of running around a field, not 20 plus hours over a weekend.  I have heard several people say that they would do it if they didn't have to beat up their knees practicing all summer.  However I think the mms who practice hard all summer might have issues with a part time member of a Part time corps.  I wonder if most of the last minute additions pay their full dues or if they just comp them to fill the ranks and make the corps as a whole better?  Then you wonder if someone might be on the fence and just waiting for an emergency last minute call so they can march without paying dues.   

My assumption, which may be incorrect, was that the latecomers would be filling holes or additions (usually to brass) that would make the corps better - thereby being a value-added thing for the members who have "been there" all Summer.  I would think it very problematic if someone came in to replace a vet who didn't want to be replaced.  Did that really ever happen?  How could a corps recruit future members in that scenario?

Incomplete Junior Corps are very candid about recruiting new members during a tour, but in an attempt to fill their blanks.  I'm sure they don't demand full (retroactive) dues from these people, if not waiving everything except pro-rated tour fees, if even that.

It's the parable of the prodigal son, right?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or if it's obvious, but are DCA corps scored on the same sheets as DCI? I'm no DCA expert so don't judge me 

A Class recaps

4th - Southern Knights 74.60
3rd - Erie Thunderbirds 77.33
2nd - Govenaires 81.43
1st - Cincinnati Tradition 82.70

http://dcacorps.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-A-Class-Finals-Recap.pdf

Open Class recaps

10th - Sunrisers 85.68
9th - Minnesota Brass 88.98
8th - Bushwackers 89.83
7th - Kidsgrove Scouts 91.73
6th - Fusion Core 92.05
5th - White Sabers 93.38
4th - Cablleros 94.38
3rd - Cadets2 95.40
2nd - Atlanta CV 96.63
1st - Buccaneers 98.93

http://dcacorps.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-Open-Class-Finals-Recap.pdf

1 hour ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or if it's obvious, but are DCA corps scored on the same sheets as DCI? I'm no DCA expert so don't judge me 

no. DCI sheets are used only when at DCI contests if no DCA sheets available.

First off, the break off of captions is different, sometimes parallel but not always. For instance, DCA has a subcaption called Communication. I understand it to be the engagement of the audience, the entertainment factor, and the accessibility of the show to everyone other than the blue nose music majors at the consortium.  At one time "Communication* was separate from the understanding of General Effect  Now it seems both captions are on the same sheet. Better experts of DCA will be able to explain it better than I did.

Go to Fromthepressbox.com and hit the box for Finals recaps. Even if it hasn't been updated, you'll see the names of the judges, the names of the captions they will judge, and in the special award sections some of the emphases DCA has that DCI doesn't.

Edited by xandandl

5 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Only problem with that more America corps out of finals ,With out Kidsgrove this year Skyliners would have made finals .

Them pesky WORLD championships getting in the way with a NE good ole boy network . 

What were they thinking traveling all that distance ??? 

Skyliners should have started in November like the rest of the pack or else they would not be sitting on the sidelines . 

Edited by camel lips
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Them pesky WORLD championships getting in the way with a NE good ole boy network . 

What were they thinking traveling all that distance ??? 

Skyliners should have started in November like the rest of the pack or else they would not be sitting on the sidelines . 

Kidsgrove was quite awesome....they basically gave a marching precision and drill lesson to a bunch of corps, and the quality of their brass sound was quite fine, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Good point.  I heard talk back then that the rule was aimed at one particular corps.

Honestly, I never saw the point to any rule like that. Like you said...  the negative implications far outweighed any benefit.

It was "The Bushwacker rule". Put in after our 3rd title, Disappeared after our 6th title.

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Congrats to C2 for a perfect 100 in percussion development.  

Performance subcaption was just shy to keep the combination from winning percussion total again. As they say in Brooklyn, "next year."

C2 brass and percussion both grabbed 2nd in their captions...impressive considering how strong Bucs were.

• Like 1