2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

2 hours ago, burdettsky said:

Ummmmmm, what the hell is this guy even talking about, and why is he saying this?  

It was poorly phrased, but I believe his point was this: if Skyliners are complaining (and who says they are?) that they would have made Finals if it weren't for Kidsgrove, the foreign interloper, then they have only to blame themselves for not having put on a show that was better than Sunrisers' and qualified. But again, as far as I know, Skyliners aren't making that complaint.

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

What is an "international corps", then?  Was Kidsgrove not an "international corps" when they finished 7th in 2012?  Or Yokohama Inspires, when they finished 7th in 2004?

Oh, good catch.

However, what camel lips said is that 7th had "become" the standard international placement. Since Kidsgrove placed 6th in  2010 and 2015, that's arguable.

Still, you're absolutely right that overseas corps have twice placed 7th.

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It was poorly phrased, but I believe his point was this: if Skyliners are complaining (and who says they are?) that they would have made Finals if it weren't for Kidsgrove, the foreign interloper, then they have only to blame themselves for not having put on a show that was better than Sunrisers' and qualified. But again, as far as I know, Skyliners aren't making that complaint.

I kind of get that, if not for the part about starting in November like everyone else. That comment is the part I don't get.   I wrote him a private message to clarify.  

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Oh, good catch.

However, what camel lips said is that 7th had "become" the standard international placement. Since Kidsgrove placed 6th in  2010 and 2015, that's arguable.

Still, you're absolutely right that overseas corps have twice placed 7th.

"Southern Knights":

WAAAAAAAYYYYYY  back in 1990, an UK corps called "Southern Knights" made the trip over the pond to take in DCA.  They were in a show in Connecticut prior to the Championship and achieved a 82  + (12the place) in DCA Prelims, not enough to qualify for Finals.

I don't remember if they were designated an "International Champ" or not.  Anybody out there have a clue?????

Elphaba     :flower:

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Poorly phrased"... you, sir, are too nice. :tongue:

The poster has a long history of doing his best to stir the pot, even though he rarely, if ever, has a legitimate case to do so.  

And the above description is me being diplomatic.  I'd prefer to not be banned from DCP.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

"Southern Knights":

WAAAAAAAYYYYYY  back in 1990, an UK corps called "Southern Knights" made the trip over the pond to take in DCA.  They were in a show in Connecticut prior to the Championship and achieved a 82  + (12the place) in DCA Prelims, not enough to qualify for Finals.

I don't remember if they were designated an "International Champ" or not.  Anybody out there have a clue?????

Elphaba     :flower:

Good question... I don't remember, either.

I know they did an exhibition at the start of Finals that year, along with the 11th-place corps from prelims... as was the custom in DCA then.  (Several years before the Class A category was created.)

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Personally I think they should wait at least one more year (earning a score that would show they could make Finals in Open, as Govies and Sabers have in the past), but obviously they'll do what they think is best for them.

The number of applicants continues to increase and interest is higher already with early request for audition material and dates.

Considering the number of early inquiries the decision may be an easy one.  The goal has always been to offer the marching performance arts experience to all students who can commit to the schedule.

However I'm convinced the CT administration will consider the incurred cost of such growth before making any decision one way or the other. CT has a solid staff and experienced administration team lead by very capable directors. 

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

However I'm convinced the CT administration will consider the incurred cost of such growth before making any decision one way or the other. CT has a solid staff and experienced administration team lead by very capable directors. 

Amen, Jim. Slow, calculated growth is the only way to sustain and propel an organization into the future. Grow too fast and the increased costs of equipment, uniforms, transportation, food, and housing will easily send a corps over the edge. We've seen it far too often (and far too recently).

The good news is that the folks at CT seem to understand this, and their growth plan appears (to this outsider) to be a good one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In terms of sheer enjoyment:

[...]

Also, and I repeat myself on this, but while there was a long, long way to go on execution, I loved the musical writing in Thunderbirds show. The last four minutes was one long, slow, sustained build. And it really worked. How often do you hear a show like that?

There seems to be a fair amount of comments re: Kidsgrove Scouts, their International status, etc.   I'll keep my comment short and sweet.  I would be thrilled if the Scouts came back in 2 years, and won the DCA World Championship!