2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

But the voting membership is the top 10 scoring North American corps from prelims, right?

That voting membership is huge... even if it's for a corps that misses Open finals, like I believe was the case with Skyliners this year.  (Didn't make finals, but was one of the top 10 scoring North American corps, since no Class A corps outscored them.) And they still had the opportunity to perform Sunday night, in exhibition.  Quite honestly, in a better time slot (at the end of the evening, with a larger crowd in the seats) than where they would have performed had they placed 10th at prelims.

Again, I don't see the problem with a corps from outside North America traveling to DCA championships and making finals.

Around and around we go.  LOL

This is a point that goes largely un-noticed in the 'who made Finals discussion'

There are no shortage of pluses to making Finals versus performing in 11th as the exhibition corps when viewed through the admin eyes (more money, voting membership), but if we're all about member experience, performing in the exhibition at the end of the night under the lights, with zero pressure, is a much better experience than going on at 6:45 pm, especially if you're several points away from the 9th place corps. 

We were in Finals in 2013 and 2014, and without looking I can't tell you the placement and I'm the Executive Director. On the contrary, I remember every detail about the night in 2015 when the corps went on as the 'exhibition corps' at the end of the night. It's an experience we still talk about because of how great that 'last corps of the night' feeling is. 

In terms of the 'if KS didn't come so and so would have been in or out' in any given year discussion, I won't speak for other groups, but quite honestly it's not really anything we think about, more so because we don't really see much of the 'direct competition' anyway before Championships. If they hadn't come this year we would have landed that 11th spot I just mentioned loving, but I don't think we ever really consciously thought about it. You do your best show, you hope it works out. If you don't like the result, go back and figure out what you need to be doing to get a better number. 

-Larry 

Edited by UNCGQ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, that's how I understood it. (But I've never seen said rule book.) Yet Jim said that CT was seeded based on their DCI score at Dublin rather than on having no DCA score. Jim?

To clear up some confustion, from the 2017-2018 rule book:

Order of Performance (Prelims)
Corps will appear in the order of their highest score during the regular season at DCA sanctioned contests, with the highest scoring corps appearing last. If a corps has no DCA sanctioned contest score, but has a score from a DCI competition scored on DCA sheets, that will be their seeding score. All ties will be decided by drawing. In the absence of the availability of a seeding score for a competing corps, order of appearance shall be any unseeded Associate Member corps, followed by seeded Associate Member corps, followed by unseeded Full Member corps, and finally by seeded Full Member Corps as per the following:

Associate Member corps – Unseeded Associate Member corps will draw for the earliest positions.
Full Member corps – Unseeded Full Member corps will appear after seeded Associate Member corps and will draw for position.

Exception - An approved, audited corps in good standing with DCA may hold a sanctioned, judged DCA contest with only one DCA approved corps in attendance. This show will be judged by an approved DCA judging panel in a venue that would normally host a DCA contest with multiple participants. The host corps must invite all DCA corps to participate, but if the host corps is the only participant, and they are willing to take the entire burden of the financial cost to host a show with them as the only competitive corps, DCA shall sanction the show and use the judged score appropriately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spandy said:

Corps will appear in the order of their highest score during the regular season at DCA sanctioned contests, with the highest scoring corps appearing last. If a corps has no DCA sanctioned contest score, but has a score from a DCI competition scored on DCA sheets, that will be their seeding score. All ties will be decided by drawing. In the absence of the availability of a seeding score for a competing corps, order of appearance shall be any unseeded Associate Member corps, followed by seeded Associate Member corps, followed by unseeded Full Member corps, and finally by seeded Full Member Corps as per the following:

Associate Member corps – Unseeded Associate Member corps will draw for the earliest positions.
Full Member corps – Unseeded Full Member corps will appear after seeded Associate Member corps and will draw for position.

Exception - An approved, audited corps in good standing with DCA may hold a sanctioned, judged DCA contest with only one DCA approved corps in attendance. This show will be judged by an approved DCA judging panel in a venue that would normally host a DCA contest with multiple participants. The host corps must invite all DCA corps to participate, but if the host corps is the only participant, and they are willing to take the entire burden of the financial cost to host a show with them as the only competitive corps, DCA shall sanction the show and use the judged score appropriately.

And there we have it.  I, among others, were in error by saying a score needed to be from a DCA-sanctioned show. My apologies. Again, I gotta remember that "out of the loop" thing.  Actually glad not to be in it.  LOL

Thanks for sharing!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bill said:

1)  A corps needs a score from a DCA sanctioned show to be seeded in performance order at the championship prelims.  A score from a DCI show, carries no weight.  It's clearly explained in the DCA Rulebook.

2)  CT has tried to host a DCA sanctioned show in the past, but the only DCA corps that would commit to traveling to Cincinnati in support of a show were the Kilts.  At that time 3 corps were required to have a DCA sanctioned show.

3)  DCA is specifically chartered as an organization for "North American" corps.

WRONG!  Read the rule book 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, that's how I understood it. (But I've never seen said rule book.) Yet Jim said that CT was seeded based on their DCI score at Dublin rather than on having no DCA score. Jim?

That person doesn't know the rules and has no dog in the race. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spandy said:

If one reads the rule book one will know. CT is smarter than the average bear. 

8 hours ago, bill said:

CT has tried to host a DCA sanctioned show in the past, but the only DCA corps that would commit to traveling to Cincinnati in support of a show were the Kilts. 

There was no kiltie Senior in 2017, and no mini corps either. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

For my two cents (if my opinion is actually worth that much), I just hope that no corps participant )be they performers, administrators, designers, or teaching staff) ever think about "if so-and-so isn't here, then we can get a place higher!"  That is pretty much as antithetical to excellence and achievement as you can possibly get.  Where do you get satisfaction from that?  

We're all fortunate to have Kidsgrove make all the "extra" efforts it takes to contribute to DCA in such an excellent way.  Anyone that doesn't see that has a real personal issue.  If all you want is a trophy, they don't cost much at stores . . .

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

WRONG!  Read the rule book 

21 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

That person doesn't know the rules and has no dog in the race. 

18 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

If one reads the rule book one will know. CT is smarter than the average bear. 

Hey Jim... calm down.  

If you're going to tell us to read the rule book, maybe provide a link or the verbage we need.. like someone else did.  It goes a long way other than just yelling that someone's wrong.