2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm sorry it's been that way for you. Speaking as a Clevelander (and with no drum corps experience), I've always felt welcome to participate here.

I don't think we have to look more than four or five pages back to prove my point.  But I'm glad your experience has been better than Jim's and mine.  

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wore my Kidsgrove "Montagues & Capulets" shirt at work today, for obvious reasons.

Who's going to come out on top at DCUK and DCE? Kidsgrove or Company?

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Who's going to come out on top at DCUK and DCE? Kidsgrove or Company?

Gosh that's a good question. I'm thinking the Company but I really enjoyed Kidsgrove so...

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Gosh that's a good question. I'm thinking the Company but I really enjoyed Kidsgrove so...

Maybe Jubal steals it from them both?

(Heh, speaking of steals, I just noticed that there's a DCE corps called Blue Bandits.)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So why bother seeding at all? Why not just put the corps on at Prelims in random order, if it makes no difference?

Do the corps think it makes no difference?

While there's no doubt that the Equal Advantage Scoring System has helped negate some of the issues of performance order, it hasn't negated them.  Here's an excerpt from a Judges Academy document on the subject:

"Recent innovative practices in Scoring Theory have been widely adopted and accepted as successful at increasing the validity of rating and ranking groups.  “Equal Opportunity Scoring” allows judges to “hold” numbers over longer periods of time during the assessments.   This provides a more consistent scoring potential to all groups and has proven to assist judges with problematic scoring dynamics, particularly at events with many participants.  But even this evolutionary practice does not deal with the adjudicator’s actual perception and recall through the implementation of the Impression/Analysis/Comparison Model.  This method of achievement-based assessment is widely taught and adopted by most major competitive organizations in the US, and increasingly world-wide."

Oversimplified, judges compare achievements horizontally through time.  The order of events influences the I-A-C model.

• Like 1

1. What is Judges Academy?

2. Do marching arts judges ever interact with professional music or dance critics? 

I was lately reading this description of a discussion between a bunch of west coast classical music critics and wondered if the critics could learn from the judges and vice versa.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

1. What is Judges Academy?

2. Do marching arts judges ever interact with professional music or dance critics? 

I was lately reading this description of a discussion between a bunch of west coast classical music critics and wondered if the critics could learn from the judges and vice versa.

1.  https://judgesacademy.com/academy-central/  https://www.facebook.com/MarchingRoundtable

https://www.facebook.com/JudgesAcademy

2.  Yes. Clinics are sometimes held by the major acronym arts orgs: DCI, DCA, WGI, etc..  Most active judges pursue these things individually as well, as part of their lifestyle and professional development.  You might be interested in the number of anecdotes concerning the use of "celebrity judges" in drum corps.  You don't see that much, for good reasons.

If you're interested, I could send you a document that discusses the latest trends in assessment (judging) applied to competition systems.  It's a bit techno-geek, but really interesting if you're into this stuff - as you obviously are.

Finally, thanks for posting the link to that article - it will be very helpful!

Edited by Schnitzel
Error.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:35 PM, Spandy said:

The information is notoriously difficult to get a hold of, even for new corps who are applying for membership. I don't blame anyone for remembering the older version of the rules and not being able to find an update.

Funny part about it. You have to know to ask for it. It will never be offered to you . Lol

7 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Funny part about it. You have to know to ask for it. It will never be offered to you . Lol

Funny part about that is your statement is complete BS. I, along with every other caption head in DCA, was sent a current copy of the rule book back in the spring, directly from DCA.

I never had to ask.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:34 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

So why bother seeding at all? Why not just put the corps on at Prelims in random order, if it makes no difference?

Do the corps think it makes no difference?

Later performance/seed means more rehearsal time

• Like 1