2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

6 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I didn't miss your point at all. They're not dependent on DCA shows for exposure or scores. I'm sure CT will consider DCA shows and negotiate expenses and fees that make sense. That's a win win for all. Who wouldn't want a two time Class 'A'  Champion at their show? 

I think his point was entirely about championships and the time when they eventually move up to Open. At that point, not having a DCA score during the season may put them at a significant scoring disadvantage at Prelims.

• Confused 1

While I liked Erie Thunderbirds' show a lot, I don't actually know what they were playing.

It's not on DCX (formerly Corpsreps) and it wasn't in the program book, I think.

Does anyone know?

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I didn't miss your point at all. They're not dependent on DCA shows for exposure or scores. I'm sure CT will consider DCA shows and negotiate expenses and fees that make sense. That's a win win for all.

If you're going to be a part of the DCA organization, you need to be a part of their shows.  I'm sure DCA could very easily have said that if CT didn't have any DCA scores then they wouldn't be allowed to compete at DCA Championships.  I'm not sure what the rules are regarding show attendance and Championship participation.  Obviously CT will do what makes fiscal sense to them.  But the corps outside the Northeast do have to travel.  Erie has put in some big miles in the last few seasons to attend DCA shows.

In reference to where I used CT earlier, it was in regards to Kidsgrove actually being at the Reading show and having a DCA score going into Prelims.  That they didn't "steal" a spot from a corps that finished outside the top 10.  

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think his point was entirely about championships and the time when they eventually move up to Open. At that point, not having a DCA score during the season may put them at a significant scoring disadvantage at Prelims.

CT has every intention of going to DCA shows. However it's important to have performance opportunities, be financially stable and fiscally responsible. The financial burden needs to be shared by all parties for performance opportunities to make sense, not just for getting a DCA score from a DCA show. Plus the local DCI shows are very well attended. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Hey someone has to come in last. :laughing:

We didn't break a 60 for those two years... in local-circuit competition, which was not exactly a DCI regional.  LOL

I know this is hard to believe... but there were two corps in our circuit those two years whom we would beat by 15-20 points, every time saw them. (When they weren't there, we had the last-place ticket.  LOL)

Those two corps... I was literally afraid to watch them.  :ninja:  I figured, hey... if we suck, then maybe those guys should form a chess club or a bowling league instead of doing drum corps.   :tongue:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ErieSopMike said:

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding show attendance and Championship participation.  

You're correct you don't know the rules. DCA will accept the highest score from a DCI show on DCA sheets or a DCA show for seeding. Sooooooo as long as CT bring DCA sheets to a DCI show, get judged they're in line with the current DCA rules. Since shows were cancelled for whatever reason, there was a plan in place to protect themselves and it played out just fine. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

24 minutes ago, ErieSopMike said:

You missed the point of my reply then.  Sure, there's plenty of performance opportunities, but if they're not DCA sanctioned, that is a small issue.  Perhaps CT should look at hosting a show (if it's not already in the works) to ensure at least 1 DCA score prior to Championships.  Hopefully Erie will be able to have their show as well in the coming season as well.  

The only reason I used "last place" with them is due to their lack of a DCA score and their seeding this year.  Since they had no DCA score, DCA had no option but to put them in 5th and on first.  It's not something they want to continue going forward, especially when looking to move up possibly into the Open class at some time.  Obviously they're not a last place corps... no corps is... at least I don't know any corps that goes out to say that "we're the worst!", but someone always has to get the lowest score.  

it's not an issue as I've said elsewhere because of one simple fact:

DCA judges hold numbers for x amount of corps....then can go back and adjust as they need in those blocks. so if they're on first and a judge says 82/81, and after seeing 3 corps that may not be as good or fit that criteria on the sheet and CT should be higher, that judge can go back and make their number and 84/83 or whatever.

The old days of appearance order being life or death literally means nothing now. We've seen it at DCi shows using the TOC system where BD goes on like 3rd, and still wins, and doesnt see their number shift drastically from the day before.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

nope. see my post above

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's not an issue as I've said elsewhere because of one simple fact:

DCA judges hold numbers for x amount of corps....then can go back and adjust as they need in those blocks. so if they're on first and a judge says 82/81, and after seeing 3 corps that may not be as good or fit that criteria on the sheet and CT should be higher, that judge can go back and make their number and 84/83 or whatever.

The old days of appearance order being life or death literally means nothing now. We've seen it at DCi shows using the TOC system where BD goes on like 3rd, and still wins, and doesnt see their number shift drastically from the day before.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you do realize many on social media dont have a ###### clue on how things really work? DCA doesnt always do the best job of posting how rules work...even DCi has some things public and others not....and it is what it is. 90% of complaints on social media are worth about as much as the toiler paper used to clean the screen after you read them

You do realize that the people posting on Social Media are doing so because they don't feel the pressure of the bully mentality here  and the ever present hints of banishment?? 

There are plenty of people on Social Media that have a clue that won't waste a keystroke on this place but contribute their thoughts never the less. I don't see you chiming in alot over there because you don't have your protection.