2017 DCI survey

Text of the survey email:

"Dear Drum Corps International Fan:

On behalf of Drum Corps International, I’d like to thank you for your support and patronage through the years.

I’d also like to ask for your help in improving our next championship event by completing the 2017 Championship Attendee survey. We’ve extended this invitation to 2016 AND 2017 Championship ticket purchasers. So, even if you weren't able to attend the 2017 Championship event in Indianapolis, we’d still like to hear from you.

The survey covers a lot of topics, including why you attended the event and your relationship with drum corps. This was a great year of the corps, but we’d really like to know what you think about the event and the corps, and to better understand what drives and motivates you to attend our events.

We’ve been very pleased with the progress of the DrumLine Battle and Soundsport initiatives but want to know what you think, and we'd like your impressions of specific Open Class and SemiFinal corps and their performances.

This survey should take around 15-20 minutes to complete and will remain open until September 30,2017.  We know this is a big ask of your time, but we'd really like you help on this project.

After we close the survey, we will be conducting a random selection and award a set of “2017 Championship DVDs” to the person selected. If you don’t want to be part of that process, you will be given a chance to opt out toward the end of the survey.
"

From the survey's introductory page:

"This survey is about the 2017 Drum Corps International (DCI) World Championships held in Indianapolis and Michigan City in early August. It is for research purposes only and is an opportunity for you to give feedback to Drum Corps International so future championship events can be improved. No personal information or individual responses will be released.
You received this invitation because you either purchased a ticket for the 2017 Championships or purchased a ticket for the 2016 Championships.

We sent this invitation to 2016 Championship ticket patrons who may not have attended in 2017. We'd like to understand that situation a bit more."

I attended O.C. Finals both years. I attended W.C. Finals in 2016, but DCI wouldn't know that because I bought the tickets from a friend who had a block.

OK, the survey asks for:

Country, postal code, gender (yes, "other" is an option), birth year, race/ethnicity, "domestic situation" (i.e., marital status, with "it's complicated" as an option), employment status, previous W.C. championship attendance back to 2007 (including the option of merely having bought tickets for others), and whether one attended W.C. championships this year (as I noted above, I did not). And then...

--Why didn't I attend W.C. championships this year? Possible reasons: no longer knowing someone in the activity, no longer involved in the activity, cost, Indianapolis-overload, dislike of performances, diminished interest in drum corps, unable to use purchased tickets, online viewing instead, and/or schedule conflicts.

--How many other DCI events did I attend?

--Any plans to attend "championships" next year? (I wonder if the survey is in error in not being consistent about whether O.C. events count as part of championships. All the questions on venue reference only Indianapolis, not Michigan City.)

--Ranking overall music, percussion, brass, visual "precision", guard, "spectacle", visual "performance", and total coordination of elements.

--Whether shows are enhanced or detracted from by amplified solos, any vocals, whole-corps amplification, costume/uniform changes, and "extensive" props or sets. There is an option for comments. (I responded at length.)

--Corps the respondent has been part of, if any.

Finally, you can enter a drawing, request/decline to receive email offers, and provide some final comments.

(For the last item, I gave them a link to hostrauser's "segmentation" thread. I also used that space to comment on Flo.)

It's quite possible that had my responses been different, I might have been asked other questions.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, the survey asks for:

Country, postal code, gender (yes, "other" is an option), birth year, race/ethnicity, "domestic situation" (i.e., marital status, with "it's complicated" as an option), employment status, previous W.C. championship attendance back to 2007 (including the option of merely having bought tickets for others), and whether one attended W.C. championships this year (as I noted above, I did not). And then...

--Why didn't I attend W.C. championships this year? Possible reasons: no longer knowing someone in the activity, no longer involved in the activity, cost, Indianapolis-overload, dislike of performances, diminished interest in drum corps, unable to use purchased tickets, online viewing instead, and/or schedule conflicts.

--How many other DCI events did I attend?

--Any plans to attend "championships" next year? (I wonder if the survey is in error in not being consistent about whether O.C. events count as part of championships. All the questions on venue reference only Indianapolis, not Michigan City.)

--Ranking overall music, percussion, brass, visual "precision", guard, "spectacle", visual "performance", and total coordination of elements.

--Whether shows are enhanced or detracted from by amplified solos, any vocals, whole-corps amplification, costume/uniform changes, and "extensive" props or sets. There is an option for comments. (I responded at length.)

--Corps the respondent has been part of, if any.

Finally, you can enter a drawing, request/decline to receive email offers, and provide some final comments.

(For the last item, I gave them a link to hostrauser's "segmentation" thread. I also used that space to comment on Flo.)

It's quite possible that had my responses been different, I might have been asked other questions.

Those appear to be the same questions I was asked.

Plus:

-- Questions on DrumLine Battle and SoundSport

--Thoughts of Corps not appearing in Semis

-- The Marketplace and any purchases, and 

-- Where I stayed (hotel in town/not, with friends, live locally, etc.) and ranking of local restaurants.

Edited by CrownBariDad

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Funny, I've attended finals since 2008 and didn't get a survey. I guess they figure I am hooked regardless.

If you buy tickets through a block, you generally do not get the survey because the purchaser is the block organizer, but if you contact DCI and mention this, they'll send you the survey. My guess is the same would hold true for people who buy more than one set of tickets with a credit card. Only the cardholder would get the survey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

If you buy tickets through a block, you generally do not get the survey because the purchaser is the block organizer, but if you contact DCI and mention this, they'll send you the survey. My guess is the same would hold true for people who buy more than one set of tickets with a credit card. Only the cardholder would get the survey.

Actually I buy the Super Three Pack each year as soon as they go on sale Thursday of Final's week. I am the card holder. Go figure.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Actually I buy the Super Three Pack each year as soon as they go on sale Thursday of Final's week. I am the card holder. Go figure.

You'll get a separate VIP survey with questions about your limo ride to the stadium and the color of leather you want for you box seat cup-holder. :wink:

• Haha 4

I've purchased tickets going on 7 years in a row, and next year (2018) as well, yet I haven't received my survey.  Maybe they didn't like the brutal honesty that I replied to the survey.  Or, they just haven't sent it to my email yet, or to get reaction from the DCP crowd, George Hopkins decided I shouldn't get one since the Cadets 2017 show wasn't one of my 10 favorites from this season.