Question about college?

Hello, Not sure if this is in the right place sorry if it's not. My son is planning on auditioning for a world class corp this fall and he will start college next fall and I am wondering if anyone marches for Ohio State University and for a world class corp? If so how does the auditioning process for OSU work with DCI finals on the same weekend? We are trying to plan for college and DCI and it's proving to be quite the challenge thanks for any help and input. 

Thank you for the input I guess I should not have limited it to world class only he did march open class last year and the same problem would occur either way. Unfortunately I do not know any OSU members and I was hoping maybe someone in a similar situation would have some insight regardless of which college. Thanks again just trying to get our ducks in a row so to speak. 

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

In all honesty, I'd take it one step at a time. If he's auditioning for a World Class corps, wait until he's been offered a spot in January, if he is, before worrying about the OSU question. 

I performed and instructed in WC top 5, and to me that is reversed. Most WC corps work around University situations, so I would contact OSU first because the University should take priority over a WC corps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I performed and instructed in WC top 5, and to me that is reversed. Most WC corps work around University situations, so I would contact OSU first because the University should take priority over a WC corps.

Did you see the part where the OP said OSU auditions were the same weekend as DCI Finals? How is a world class corps (or any corps for that matter) suppose to work around that? Let the person march an entire season and then leave for the final 2 or 3 shows and put someone else in?

edited to add: You're correct most corps will work around school situations. And I agree with you, they should. However, I don't see how they could, in this particular scenario. My suggestion would be to see if the university would permit an earlier (like perhaps a week) audition date.

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 1

Just now, Barneveld said:

Did you see the part where the OP said OSU auditions were the same weekend as DCI Finals? How is a world class corps (or any corps for that matter) work around that? Let the person march an entire season and then for the final 2 or 3 shows put someone else in?

Contacting OSU first should take priority, and if they will adjust no problem. If they have issues most WC corps that I know will have someone get in contact with the University in an attempt to find a middle ground compromise. The people in both institutions are not ogres, they all will have the youth's best interest in mind; and most are typically willing to work something out. It just needs to be worked out as early as possible.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Contacting OSU first should take priority, and if they will adjust no problem. If they have issues most WC corps that I know will have someone get in contact with the University in an attempt to find a middle ground compromise. The people in both institutions are not ogres, they all will have the youth's best interest in mind; and most are typically willing to work something out. It just needs to be worked out as early as possible.

We are in agreement. The only thing I could not see happening is missing the final 2 shows, that's all.

5 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

We are in agreement. The only thing I could not see happening is missing the final 2 shows, that's all.

If, and that is a big If, it came to that a choice would have to be made to either delay college for a year or miss a year of drum corps. But typically a middle ground compromise is found.

• Like 1