Question about college?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If, and that is a big If, it came to that a choice would have to be made to either delay college for a year or miss a year of drum corps. But typically a middle ground compromise is found.

It's not the college start date that would be the conflict. It's the marching band tryouts. 

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

It's not the college start date that would be the conflict. It's the marching band tryouts. 

True, so I will state it this way: unless being in the band is a scholarship requirement or a requirement of the major,  which would cause a choice to be made between university and drum corps, a choice may have to be made between band an drum corps. But again that is also unlikely.

There is a tuba/contra player that I know who is currently at Crown who was in this scenario. He didn't leave for Auditions, he joined them late, but did have to coordinate a lot with the band on ho quickly he could get there.

They'll figure it out. Both are big commitments (not to mention college!) and best to let them make up their own mind. I'm sure both things can be accomplished. Many kids that have done it all. It's just a matter of what they truly want to do.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

22 hours ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Hello, Not sure if this is in the right place sorry if it's not. My son is planning on auditioning for a world class corp this fall and he will start college next fall and I am wondering if anyone marches for Ohio State University and for a world class corp? If so how does the auditioning process for OSU work with DCI finals on the same weekend? We are trying to plan for college and DCI and it's proving to be quite the challenge thanks for any help and input. 

Ohio State has their band auditions that late?  My son was in the Marching Illini all four years of college and the auditions were in the spring.   He never had any issues marching drum corps and college band, although he had to go to school the day he returned home from tour for band camp down in Chambana.  Lots of kids do both. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

Dear OP,

You have a friend in court and again STU is overplaying his hand with dramatic exaggeration. 

Dr. Scott Jones of OSU band and music staff is a Cadets alum and still keeps active interest in the corps and the activity. We are also correspondents. He well understands the situation and demands of each program. He's a great guy, a fantastic educator, and an ennobled alum of DCI.

https://music.osu.edu/people/jones.4371

• Like 3

On 9/9/2017 at 9:33 PM, Psycobikerbob said:

Hello, Not sure if this is in the right place sorry if it's not. My son is planning on auditioning for a world class corp this fall and he will start college next fall and I am wondering if anyone marches for Ohio State University and for a world class corp? If so how does the auditioning process for OSU work with DCI finals on the same weekend? We are trying to plan for college and DCI and it's proving to be quite the challenge thanks for any help and input. 

I don't know the linguistics here...but for an audition for OSU...sounds like that date can be changed...If he is marching corps just contact the university music program and tell them that very fact.  I'm sure they will be more than accommodating for that situation.

• Like 2

I don't think most people understand how competitive TBDBITL (The Best #### Band in the Land) is; it is unlike every college marching band that I am familiar with.  Hundreds audition for the marching band.  In fact, people who are selected as alternates learn every show.  AT ANY TIME they can challenge any member of the band for their spot.  If they perform music and drill better, the alternate gets his or her spot. 

Most college marching bands I know are more of a "everyone is welcome" environment.  

OSU is in an completely different league.   

I think the folks at Ohio State will be supportive, but it's important to know the reality of the OSU marching band.

Thank you everyone for the input we are going to contact OSU and see how they want us to proceed. We realize that marching for OSU and DCI is going to be a major undertaking but we think he is up for the challenge. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Psycobikerbob said:

Thank you everyone for the input we are going to contact OSU and see how they want us to proceed. We realize that marching for OSU and DCI is going to be a major undertaking but we think he is up for the challenge. 

I remember my boy telling me that he learned the MI music on the bus on tour. They're sponges at that age.  They can soak it all in. 

Best of luck to him in TBDBITL!  My husband is a huge Buckeyes fan.  We're going to the game in Nebraska next month.