G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I wasn't around when the G7 proposal emerged, but I am curious about the elements that have proven to be extremely beneficial. I enjoy the TOC show in Nashville, but frankly, that show has always been well attended long before the G7. I'd go no matter who was performing.

Are there pros to the G7? Sure, but there are negatives too.

I'm not wild about the G7...never was.  I feel it was mostly started by the wealthiest, most popular, highest ranking corps in order to benefit themselves. Their main goal, initially, was to say to DCI "we are your top brands and we expect to be paid more and we expect top billing." In order to prove it they started a series of their own shows (TOC) where they control the performance order, judging, pre-show entertainment, and post-show entertainment. Initially they wanted TOC shows to have a more varied sense of entertainment, from pre-show to post-show. They would have small ensembles performing short, entertaining works before the show started. After each corps performed on field they would immediately perform an encore piece for the fans. After the show they often did a full corps retreat where all the TOC corps combined to play a few tunes. 

To me this was overkill. The kids in each corps were being spread thin, there is only so much entertainment the average fan is willing to take at an already long, drawn-out show.  In the end, that model didn't work; but it was clear attendance was good and the intake of money was good. 

There are positives. I do like the rotation in order of performance. That can shake things up a little, and even when it doesn't it's still a neat feature. All of the TOC shows have been BIG draws for them and DCI. Of course, the proper response to that should be "well duh!" Anytime you put 7 of the top 8 or 9 drum corps together at one show I imagine the draw will be good. Most TOC shows now are not exclusively for TOC corps, as they do invite 1 or 2 others to share in the show. This often depends on where the show is held.  The combination of TOC shows and DCI Regional shows has given fans more opportunity to catch big match-ups. That is a win for the fans, but a loss for less-popular corps.

There are negatives. In addition to others that have been mentioned, I think the TOC model presents too much of a good thing. It's like having 20 regional shows instead 4 or 5. In some ways it has ruined some of the suspense in scoring and how things might shake out at the regional shows and Finals. If the branding is so good with these top corps, then perhaps a half and half model would work well. I would like to see 4 top-8 corps, 2 other finalist corps, and 2 non-finalist corps pair up at these TOC shows. Use a performance rotation, with a slight modification, and that is that the non-finalist corps get to go on in two of the final four spots.  The other 6 corps are a random order.  These shows would still do well, offer some of DCI's best, and would allow some of the lower-placing corps to perform at later times under the lights.  

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

no - the "G7" proposal was actually about helping the lower tier world class corps

one surviving element is the "Tour of Champions" shows - since those happened the non G7 corps have seen record audition tryouts and we've seen record attendance at many of the regional shows

it's packaging the "very best" in a product that has mass appeal - and frankly it would also give the "other" WC a championship of their own to shoot for

G7 was looked at in the worst possible element - however the elements that HAVE happened have proven to be extremely beneficial

In theory, you may be correct in stating that the G7 proposal was for the good of all corps, but if that's the case, the messengers did a pretty lousy job of relaying it, and as they defended it, some rather ugly aspects surfaced. There were implications that the non G7 corps were draining DCI resources. It was implied people who attended shows only wanted to see G7 corps even though the fan base of Madison and Boston Crusaders and perhaps Troopers was larger and more loyal than some G7 corps. It was thought only G7 corps would place in the top seven in the future, which Cavaliers showed in 2012 would not be the case and ruled out the possibility of another darling coming along which Blue Knights proved incorrect as they made the top seven and gained new found fans. The TOC shows are successful, but I don't see how they are responsible for attendance increases in Atlanta, Allentown, and San Antonio. I can't see how they are responsible for record tryouts for non G7 corps.

• Like 1

, I had hoped we would not revisit the G7 topic once again, but since we have, lets be clear here that the G7 Corps met and concocted their scheme behind closed doors, in violation of the spirit, ethics of their DCI membership, if not in violation of the very organization's rules and regulations itself. Once the G7 decided not to discuss this in open with the other Corps present, it created a natural distrust, animus, on the part of other dozens of DCI WC/ OC Division Corps. The G7 scheme, lest we forget was initially presented by the G7 as a non negotiable demand. Naturally, the other Corps, were caught completely off guard by the secret meeting, and then with the extortion type of " take it or leave it " delivery of the G7 scheme. This created a chism of mistrust, and disappointment with the manner in which this was hatched out. Fortunately, the other DCI Corps stood their ground, and eventually accommodations were made that allowed the parties to work together. But the manner in which George Hopkins and others put this together behind closed doors like this was indefensible on every level, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I promised myself I wasn't going to post anything beyond a sales opportunity, but I feel compelled now.

Earlier this season GD supported the crap that Phantom was going through.  Through so much of the season he has been an incredible contributor to the discussion here.  So much less fighting than usual in past seasons. Those of you who live here day-to-day can acknowledge this.  Others will not admit this. 

George has a different opinion on things.  You agree, or you don't. 

The gang up is why I so hate social media.  It's interesting that Cadets is so associated with Bernstein because so much of the current online battles is parallel to Sharks Vs. Jets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Invictus said:

The gang up is why I so hate social media.  It's interesting that Cadets is so associated with Bernstein because so much of the current online battles is parallel to Sharks Vs. Jets.

We have a winner. 

• Like 1