2018 Staff Announcements (new thread)

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Immaculata!!!  Great bloodlines there.  I've lost touch in recent years, but they had a terrific band/music program for a long time.

Plus... anything to do with Somerville, NJ, where my dad grew up and my grandparents on my mom's side lived... is fine with me!!! :thumbup:

Many legacy era Garfield Cadets have guided the field preparations for immaculata's band for a number of years. Great training leads to great performances.

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

So Dan Farrel’s retiring. Who’s up?

I thought Ricky V's tough choice was between you and George Hopkins.:blink:

of course Piled Higher and Deeper in Texas has to approve the selection first.

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I was responding to this part of what you said...

"DCI, the only youth competitive organization where the fan focus is on the adults not the youth. "

Ok; Die-hard fans of NCAA football and basketball can name many players on the various teams. While they can also name some coaches, the focus is on the players; especially those who are likely going to the NFL and NBA. Die-hard fans of DCI can name many of the adult designers and instructors, but have no clue of the names of the performers.

Edited by Stu

34 minutes ago, xandandl said:

of course Piled Higher and Deeper in Texas has to approve the selection first.

I got a good laugh off of this one :laughing:

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Many legacy era Garfield Cadets have guided the field preparations for immaculata's band for a number of years. Great training leads to great performances.

Some folks I marched with in Sunrisers also have been involved at various times over the years. A great program.

Music City just posted this on their Facebook page:

Music City is pleased to welcome Kent Baker as the organization’s new executive director. For the past 22 years, Baker has performed French horn with the USAF Band in Washington, DC. He has an extensive background in music education that includes serving as a high school band director, as a staff member with the Cavaliers and Cadets drum corps, and as a judge and clinician for DCI, Winter Guard International and for numerous marching band competitions.

As a composer, Baker has won numerous awards and had his works featured on NBC’s The Today Show, Fox & Friends, The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and Kennedy Center Honors. “I am excited to be part of such a dynamic and creative team,” Baker said. “The students and staff at Music City have a reputation for being not just a drum corps, but a family, one of which I’m proud to join.”

Feel free to contact Kent at director@musiccitydrumcorps.org to welcome and congratulate him. Here's to great things to come!

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Music City just posted this on their Facebook page:

Music City is pleased to welcome Kent Baker as the organization’s new executive director. For the past 22 years, Baker has performed French horn with the USAF Band in Washington, DC. He has an extensive background in music education that includes serving as a high school band director, as a staff member with the Cavaliers and Cadets drum corps, and as a judge and clinician for DCI, Winter Guard International and for numerous marching band competitions.

As a composer, Baker has won numerous awards and had his works featured on NBC’s The Today Show, Fox & Friends, The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and Kennedy Center Honors. “I am excited to be part of such a dynamic and creative team,” Baker said. “The students and staff at Music City have a reputation for being not just a drum corps, but a family, one of which I’m proud to join.”

Feel free to contact Kent at director@musiccitydrumcorps.org to welcome and congratulate him. Here's to great things to come!

Here's a link to his website.  Looks like Music City is going to be in great hands!  https://www.kentbakermusic.net/about

Also, here are the caption heads and designers for 2018:

Brass: Robert W. Smith (arranger), Paris Foreman (caption head)

Percussion: David England (arranger), Chris DeBerry (caption head)

Guard: Tracy Carter (caption head)

Visual: Jeffrey Thompson (designer), Josh Meyer (caption head)

Why am I not surprised Chad Pence, Cadets alum and former horn tech there, hired Ben Pouncey, former Cadets DM, Jim Jones winner and trumpet who was a viz tech there, as the new trumpet tech for Blue Knights? Both men are band directors at two different high schools in the same town in South Carolina. Frick and Frack.

The rest of Chad's picks seem to be either Cadets alums or Boston alums, both corps where Chad previously taught. Good luck, good licks.

Edited by xandandl

On 10/4/2017 at 8:39 AM, Fran Haring said:

Immaculata!!!  Great bloodlines there.  I've lost touch in recent years, but they had a terrific band/music program for a long time.

Plus... anything to do with Somerville, NJ, where my dad grew up and my grandparents on my mom's side lived... is fine with me!!! :thumbup:

My 1st apartment was directly next door to Immaculata. Horrible downstairs neighbor I had to call the cops on many time (really old lady), even knocked my motorcycle down a few times (finally caught it on camera).

sorry for the diversion, now back to drum corps..

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

Why am I not surprised Chad Pence, Cadets alum and former horn tech there, hired Ben Pouncey, former Cadets DM, Jim Jones winner and trumpet who was a viz tech there, as the new trumpet tech for Blue Knights? 

I believe, he was the DM for 2011.  Quite the accomplishment.