2018 Staff Announcements (new thread)

Bringing in an outsider to be design director is the best move Cadets have made in over half a decade. Who knows how successful the move will turn out to be, but it certainly is better than Hopkins calling all the shots 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Bringing in an outsider to be design director is the best move Cadets have made in over half a decade. Who knows how successful the move will turn out to be, but it certainly is better than Hopkins calling all the shots 

Wasn't Heininger also an outnsider coming in for '16 from Mechanicsburg and SCV?  And Bobby Jones, and Sal Salas, in 2017? Supposedly there was also Earnhardt who didn't even last a weekend?

51 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Eh just seems like another scapegoat to fire when the cadets start to suffer competitively next season. I would so love to believe hell be given control over design but Hopkins has shown through his actions time after time what he envisons will be on the field.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Is it though? I guess because bringing a non-Cadet guy into a pivotal design roll is a bit of a shock?  I'm willing to wait and see.

The stuff hes done with Mystique really gives me hope for Cadets design wise.  They have been kind of inconsistent recently, and Shanes designs (with Mystique at least) have been fantastic.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Wasn't Heininger also an outnsider coming in for '16 from Mechanicsburg and SCV?  And Bobby Jones, and Sal Salas, in 2017? Supposedly there was also Earnhardt who didn't even last a weekend?

Wasn’t Sal Salas an artistic director? Is there not a difference between that and the Design Director which seems to be a new position? 

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

The stuff hes done with Mystique really gives me hope for Cadets design wise.  They have been kind of inconsistent recently, and Shanes designs (with Mystique at least) have been fantastic.

agree that his WGI stuff is great 

BUT, I didn’t enjoy his writing for Regiment, he was my least favorite post-Rennick drum guy there, the front ensemble person he brought with him however, was fantastic.

Really a matter of taste but  I’m not a big fan of some other corps’ WGI battery-style either. I appreciate the difference in the two styles but relative to brass and the full ensemble sound, the momentum needed to carry through on the field.... I feel the wgi guys need to adapt a bit more and lessen their WGI-ness for a field show

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

if allowed. However unlike many, shane will walk if he's being bossed around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Wasn’t Sal Salas an artistic director? Is there not a difference between that and the Design Director which seems to be a new position? 

not really in fact. Verbiage is tweeked so one can't say Shane replaced Sal. Trying to minimize GH remains the same task.:8_laughing: