Corps applying for World or Open Class status on 2018

13 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Wasn't it like 2 years ago Music City announced folding after finals and then came back? Sounds questionable on being World ready. 

I was thinking the same thing.....if you read the wikipedia profile it clearly states that just 4 years ago they announced they were folding due to financial issues. 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Wasn't it like 2 years ago Music City announced folding after finals and then came back? Sounds questionable on being World ready. 

From what I recall, they lost a major sponsor, freaked out but then worked things out within a couple months. I'm assuming they've found new revenue streams. Can anyone confirm? 

Edit

I don't think it had anything to do with overwhelming debt but I could be wrong. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

From what I recall, they lost a major sponsor, freaked out but then worked things out within a couple months. I'm assuming they've found new revenue streams. Can anyone confirm? 

Edit

I don't think it had anything to do with overwhelming debt but I could be wrong. 

I believe this is correct.  Pretty much they pulled things together after the scare and have done well ever since.  There's a great article about Music City in the September issue of the School Band and Orchestra magazine.  Keith Hall, founder, is interviewed and talks about applying for World Class, etc.  Here's the link to the digital edition:

http://digitaleditiononline.com/publication/index.php?i=435371&m=&l=&p=1&pre=&ver=html5#{"page":0,"issue_id":435371}

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lithium Nitro said:

I know there also also some new Soundsport groups that are aiming for Open Class in the next few years such as Armada from Idaho.

There's a group from New Mexico that's applying too.

37 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

There's a group from New Mexico that's applying too.

I know nothing about their operations, but on the field Albuquerque Arsenal was very good in SoundSport this year.  They were strong all around and had a good idea of what to write for such a small group.

Mike

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I know nothing about their operations, but on the field Albuquerque Arsenal was very good in SoundSport this year.  They were strong all around and had a good idea of what to write for such a small group.

Mike

Know someone on staff and the plan is one more year of soundsport to tighten down on everything before going to open. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

yes.

As shown by both Legends and Pioneer this past summer, the problems that bereft Teal Sound and others mid tour can happen to any unit whether SoundSport, Open Class, International Class, or World Class. Even some G-7/8 are rumored to have financial problems and are living on the cusp. DCI is wary to adopt under its umbrella any unit that couldn't feed, house, or transport its MMs safely and totally. The problems Teal Sound of Jacksonville, Florida had mid-tour in Upper New York State haunt many in the administrative angle of the activity. Watching the current weather consequences in Jacksonville only reminds that due preparation for any and all emergencies is part of the job for any admin in drum corps no matter how well intentioned they are. 

We still don't know exactly what happened to Legends other than they needed money and since so many of us donated, we are due an explaination, Pioneer's issues were more specific and did come across at least to me, as unforeseen, but both differ from Teal Sound. For one thing, Teal Sound pulled out shortly after not arriving at Beanpot in Lynn which I believe was late June, and what would have been their second show. They probably should not have started their tour in the first place. We always point to Teal Sound or Glassmen when finances come up, but not all financial problems are the same, however you are 100% correct corps need to be preparing for emergencies.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We still don't know exactly what happened to Legends other than they needed money and since so many of us donated, we are due an explaination,

You forked over your money without first securing an explanation, that is on you not them. So other than a receipt, you are not due anything from them at this juncture.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We still don't know exactly what happened to Legends other than they needed money and since so many of us donated, we are due an explaination, Pioneer's issues were more specific and did come across at least to me, as unforeseen, but both differ from Teal Sound. For one thing, Teal Sound pulled out shortly after not arriving at Beanpot in Lynn which I believe was late June, and what would have been their second show. They probably should not have started their tour in the first place. We always point to Teal Sound or Glassmen when finances come up, but not all financial problems are the same, however you are 100% correct corps need to be preparing for emergencies.

There's a lot more to Teal's issues than most folks realize, and they aren't a simple case of "not having the finances". It boiled down to two things: Bus company that underbid and didn't understand what they were getting into, and an incompetent and obstinate director. DCI offered the corps a great deal of assistance, that was rebuffed by said director.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Teal Sound pulled out shortly after not arriving at Beanpot in Lynn which I believe was late June, and what would have been their second show.

Teal actually competed in six shows before heading home following the Centerville, Ohio, show on July 9. I was at the Centerville show, traveling with and shooting photos of Spirit of Atlanta, and something told me that night to go into the stadium early and shoot a bunch of pics of Teal Sound. After finding out the next day that they had folded and headed home, I was SO glad to have captured a couple hundred images of what turned out to be their last performance.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.morris.581730/media_set?set=a.10151397398785910.396315.585195909&type=3