Any word on CD/DVD/Blu-ray products for 2017

15 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

I don't mind cleaning up a bit. SCV 2015 had the keyboard soloist patched in from the semifinals performance, and I'm pretty grateful for that. But as you said, it's pretty minor compared to the problems Crown had this season. They got third though still, so I guess they should be proud of their performance. 

Crown finals gaffe seems only second to BD 1989 in history, third being SCV 2015. Curious as to whatever gaffes were patched over for the VHS tapes/DVDs.

26 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Crown finals gaffe seems only second to BD 1989 in history, third being SCV 2015. Curious as to whatever gaffes were patched over for the VHS tapes/DVDs.

I want to say replacements are a fairly recent thing.  BD's frack was on the tapes.  I know in 2010 they put in the semis performance for Crown rather than show someone breaking their leg (I have to admit, thanks DCI on that one) and then after that it's been pretty constant.  So I guess starting with the Blu Rays in 2009?  I just don't remember any "hidden" edits being made prior to then.

Mike

• Like 1

Crown's is a very simple fix..just use Thursday nights show. I was at all three nights and as far as I can tell, there were no issues at all. 

I have never seen anybody mention the reason,. why did the singer from Crown not come out to the field during retreat? 

On 9/15/2017 at 10:34 PM, Beckham said:

I'm a computer/ internet savvy millennial but I would prefer to have a Blu-ray disc rather than only digital. I have every DCI finals on DVD/Blu and it would be pretty disappointing to no longer have that option. I guess maybe it's a new version of preferring vinyl over cassette or CD.

i really dont want to hog space on drives i'd rather have the dvd. and i work for company that allows customers to do disclosures for mortgages online...uploading documents you name it.....and i'd say 45% of the customers want nothing to do with it. Pen and paper baby!

On 9/16/2017 at 6:51 PM, shofmon88 said:

I hope all the errors are left in. That was their finals performance. Live by electronics, die by electronics. If corps don't want that sort of thing to happen, maybe they should reduce their usage and ensure what they do use is as near bulletproof as possible. 

thats what BD said in 89

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

I want to say replacements are a fairly recent thing.  BD's frack was on the tapes.  I know in 2010 they put in the semis performance for Crown rather than show someone breaking their leg (I have to admit, thanks DCI on that one) and then after that it's been pretty constant.  So I guess starting with the Blu Rays in 2009?  I just don't remember any "hidden" edits being made prior to then.

Mike

BD was finals on video, but semis on the tapes and later cd

• Like 1

I wonder to what extent the videos are more important to DCI now. When something goes wrong in a show, does DCI just say, "That's OK, we'll fix it in the mix?" To continue to let corps recklessly use faulty electronics that can ruin a show for the live audience but knowing they can fix it for the video is a disservice to those who show up to the performances. At what point do audiences just start staying home, because they figure the electronics will probably screw up and DCI will fix it for the video?

13 hours ago, drangin said:

I wonder to what extent the videos are more important to DCI now. When something goes wrong in a show, does DCI just say, "That's OK, we'll fix it in the mix?" To continue to let corps recklessly use faulty electronics that can ruin a show for the live audience but knowing they can fix it for the video is a disservice to those who show up to the performances. At what point do audiences just start staying home, because they figure the electronics will probably screw up and DCI will fix it for the video?

This isn't anything new for Tom Blair and his crew to handle. In 2006 The Woodlands High School from Texas had a singing+wireless mic issue in BOA finals that was very similar to the issue Crown had. TB and co spliced the audio from an earlier round and made it seamless for the finals DVD. Not like this is a problem that has just cropped up in the last couple years.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 11:46 PM, Jeff Ream said:

BD was finals on video, but semis on the tapes and later cd

Yeah, corps have always been able to choose which performance of the 3 nights goes on the "tapes" (to include DVD, Blu-ray, etc.). Most just choose to use the finals performance for obvious reasons. In situations like Crown 2017, the semifinals performance will almost certainly be used.

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Yeah, corps have always been able to choose which performance of the 3 nights goes on the "tapes" (to include DVD, Blu-ray, etc.). Most just choose to use the finals performance for obvious reasons. In situations like Crown 2017, the semifinals performance will almost certainly be used.

i believe in 10 when the Crown member broke his leg friday was spliced in on the video