Any word on CD/DVD/Blu-ray products for 2017

21 hours ago, Beckham said:

This isn't anything new for Tom Blair and his crew to handle. In 2006 The Woodlands High School from Texas had a singing+wireless mic issue in BOA finals that was very similar to the issue Crown had. TB and co spliced the audio from an earlier round and made it seamless for the finals DVD. Not like this is a problem that has just cropped up in the last couple years.

I have no doubt that Tom Blair & Co. can handle it in post, but that doesn't address my point. What about the fans who show up and have to endure the crap that DCI allows at live shows?

2 hours ago, drangin said:

I have no doubt that Tom Blair & Co. can handle it in post, but that doesn't address my point. What about the fans who show up and have to endure the crap that DCI allows at live shows?

Technical glitches happen at live shows put on by rock bands with platinum records and in live performances on Broadway. Electronic equipment isn't perfect, that's just how it is. I understand that is an argument for getting rid of electronics or at least really dialing back the usage of them, but that just isn't going to happen no matter how much people complain.

Edited by Beckham

12 hours ago, Beckham said:

Technical glitches happen at live shows put on by rock bands with platinum records and in live performances on Broadway. Electronic equipment isn't perfect, that's just how it is. I understand that is an argument for getting rid of electronics or at least really dialing back the usage of them, but that just isn't going to happen no matter how much people complain.

Rock bands? Really? Drum corps is nothing more special to you than rock bands?

"no matter how much people complain" - That's not much of an argument for promoting attendance at live shows, or for the whole drum corps movement for that matter.

Live attendance has been trending upwards for years.  Whatever they're doing seems to be working.  Corps have openly stated they prioritize live performance over the recordings (See Scouts, Madison 2011). Nobody wants audio glitches, but my feeling is that there is not much sentiment amongst the instructors caucus or the BOD to effect much change to the rules.

Mike

Edited by MikeN
Wrong year - thanks FaustianMachine! -M
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

Live attendance has been trending upwards for years.  Whatever they're doing seems to be working.  Corps have openly stated they prioritize live performance over the recordings (See Scouts, Madison 2011). Nobody wants audio glitches, but my feeling is that there is not much sentiment amongst the instructors caucus or the BOD to effect much change to the rules.

Mike

FTFY

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drangin said:

Rock bands? Really? Drum corps is nothing more special to you than rock bands?

"no matter how much people complain" - That's not much of an argument for promoting attendance at live shows, or for the whole drum corps movement for that matter.

Actually I don't care about rock music, but some people do. Playing other people's music tastes off as insignificant isn't going to help support your point. 

And as MikeN stated, attendance is trending upwards. Many many shows have been setting attendance records nearly every year, including World Championships. 

Sure, we as humans get comfortable with something we like and don't always adapt well to it changing. But drum corps is an ever-evolving activity and has been for a very very long time. We as fans have to adapt with it or walk away, or just loudly complain and wish for something to happen that definitely won't. I'm sure some people walked away when the pit was grounded or when asymmetrical drill became the norm or, goodness, the switch from G to Bb. But as drum corps is ever-evolving so is the fan base. There are ALWAYS new people coming into the fray that have had their introduction to marching music in the high school band world. These are the people who make up the performing members and a large swath of the paying spectators. So even if a few fans walk away there are way more that are ready to fill those seats.

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, DCI should pivot and just provide all the videos free on YouTube. Use that as promotion for show attendance and streaming subscriptions. They can't be making much from selling physical discs anyway, and in they'd definitely benefit from young people sharing/liking/retweeting the shows on their social media accounts.

2 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Honestly, DCI should pivot and just provide all the videos free on YouTube. Use that as promotion for show attendance and streaming subscriptions. They can't be making much from selling physical discs anyway, and in they'd definitely benefit from young people sharing/liking/retweeting the shows on their social media accounts.

If all you expected to get was a video made by a guy in the stands with a single camcorder, that would make sense, but DCI's modern videos represent hundreds of man-hours of expert work and they're not going to provide the end product for free.

• Like 6

On 10/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, drangin said:

If all you expected to get was a video made by a guy in the stands with a single camcorder, that would make sense, but DCI's modern videos represent hundreds of man-hours of expert work and they're not going to provide the end product for free.

I'm not saying they should provide them for free.

I'm saying they might make more money through other avenues if they provided them for free.

Kinda like how every music video that represents hundreds of man-hours is made available for free. The artists and record labels recoup those costs in other ways - the YouTube videos are essentially advertising.

DCI could use some more exposure.