What Year Stood Out For You?

I have 2 but my first was 1972!

That was our corps first time at US Open in Marion, OH. The trip in 2 school buses was "interesting" to say the least. No DVD player, no cell phones....how did we get by? LOL

I remember the old elementary school we stayed at with the Greece Cadets. Prior to our prelims performance we rehearsed in the concrete playground area which was way to small to practice any drill. Remember back then....no concert number due to the shorter time limit in prelims. I remember "stepping Off The Line" with a Corky Fabrizio show with songs from "Oliver." The late Dick Pronti was with us to work drill. At the end of prelims we did pretty well. Not near finalist position but we beat some corps that we didn't in NY.

The next day was Open class prelims and I remember walking to Cadet Hall for breakfast with 2 older corps members and then walking to the stadium. Memory is still decent as I was so impressed with almost all the corps. One corps didn't impress me and they ended up in last place (32nd Hussar). Highly impressed by Blue Rock, Des Plaines Vanguard, Bleu Raeders, Anaheim Kingsmen and Beverly Cardinals to mention a few. The All Girl corps were also impressive, especially St. John's Girls and CapitolAires.

The A Class Final show was also interesting...especially Etobicoke Crusaders, Southern Tier Grenadiers, Charioteers, and Royal Crusaders.

Great year too because it was the first DCI Championship!

• 2 weeks later...

"Standout Season":

1964.  Yeah, a very long time ago.   That year to me was THE most incredibly competitive season ever in my short drum corps experience.

Everybody was beating everybody else, with Racine Kilties "Out of Nowhere" win at VFW,   Boston Crusaders torrid win streak going into VFW Nationals,  Chicago Royal Airs staying penalty free at the VFW's "Singer Bowl" show to win  (St Kevins, Kilties and Chicago Cavaliers all sufered from the penalty hits),  and St Kevins Emerald Knights  upset win at the Dream show.

The great "Comebacks" of SKEK and Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights at the World Open,  with Sac's Prelim win, and St Kevins tremendous show at Finals, which I thought they had won.      :thumbup:

Great memories.       :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba     :flower:

17 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Standout Season":

1964.  Yeah, a very long time ago.   That year to me was THE most incredibly competitive season ever in my short drum corps experience.

Everybody was beating everybody else, with Racine Kilties "Out of Nowhere" win at VFW,   Boston Crusaders torrid win streak going into VFW Nationals,  Chicago Royal Airs staying penalty free at the VFW's "Singer Bowl" show to win  (St Kevins, Kilties and Chicago Cavaliers all sufered from the penalty hits),  and St Kevins Emerald Knights  upset win at the Dream show.

The great "Comebacks" of SKEK and Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights at the World Open,  with Sac's Prelim win, and St Kevins tremendous show at Finals, which I thought they had won.      :thumbup:

Great memories.       :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba     :flower:

Also the breakout year for several "on the rise" corps as they moved up the ladder beating the guns ... Selden beat Garfield ... St. Lucy's topped Kevin's, Sac and Garfield ... Bpt PAL knocked off Boston and Garfield ... Vasella topped Sac, Garfield ... Boston topped Chicago, Sac and Garfield ... and a lot of GNYC corps scared the b'Jesus out of the "guns" they were chasing ... 64 - 66 were pivotal years in drum corps ... the great "equalizer" years ... what a great time to be in the activity ...    :-)

Edited by ajlisko

3 hours ago, ajlisko said:

Also the breakout year for several "on the rise" corps as they moved up the ladder beating the guns ... Selden beat Garfield ... St. Lucy's topped Kevin's, Sac and Garfield ... Bpt PAL knocked off Boston and Garfield ... Vasella topped Sac, Garfield ... Boston topped Chicago, Sac and Garfield ... and a lot of GNYC corps scared the b'Jesus out of the "guns" they were chasing ... 64 - 66 were pivotal years in drum corps ... the great "equalizer" years ... what a great time to be in the activity ...    :-)

"Pivitol Years":

INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!    St Mary's Cardinals and St Joe's of Batavia had great seasons with the Card's over St Kevins many times, and St Josephs and the Cardinals  great showings at VFW Prelims and Finals.  

The "Rise of the Casper Troopers" kicked in at World Open Prelims when their Marching excellence GASSED the AM crowd, and their near miss for Finals  (To crosstown rival PAL Cadets) got them the opening exibition slot in the night show.  The rest is history.

It was indeed the "Best of times" to be part of junior Drum Corps!!!!!!!!!!!     :thumbup:

Elphaba    :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

The first was 1975, the year my middle school band director introduced me to drum corps by showing me a video of the DCI top 12 finals.

Second, was 1981, the 1st year I marched in drum corps.

• Like 1