Shows that you wish made finals

2017 Mandarins...but I wouldn't want to pick a show to oust from the top 12 for it to replace.

Liked wild horses but I would not have put it in the top 12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Thats a shame. MikeD, and was not aware of this 'till you just mentioned this. Was the 1.8 overtime penalty based upon the number of seconds you guys that year went over the time limit ? I'm thinking the odd number given in the penalty points to this perhaps.

Yeah. I think so. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I could live 300 more years and never, ever figure out why corps staffs used to do that... not just Cadets that year, but other corps in other years who bumped right up against, or went over, the time limit.

I mean... there were stopwatches available then, right? :tongue:  A simple "time the runthrough" would give a corps a pretty good idea that they were flirting with overtime. Then factor in any delays for applause, etc., and you'd know you were asking for trouble.

I agree, Cadets had a great show in 1972. Sucks that they didn't make finals. 

A plausable reason: If you knew you were not going to medal or win, but you also believed that you were still safely in the top 12 and you thought all the material you created needed to be presented, a small penilty for bring over the time limit was not that big of a deal. However sometimes, like in this case, it occasionally backfired.

On 9/28/2017 at 3:38 PM, BRASSO said:

Oakland Cru finished 15th, but you were close enough. They won Percussion in Prelims, but they failed to make Finals. What would be the chances a DCI Corps could win.... say Guard.... in Prelims these days, but fail to make Finals ? I know, Slim and None..., and Slim just left town.... haha!

I thought Guardsmen were 15th.  Unless you’re counting Bridgemen.  Then we were 16th.