Pioneer 2018

Just now, Eleran said:

Especially since we all know that dragons are Welsh.

Or if they really wanted to explore something, they'd go with serpents, as those are plentiful in Irish folklore and mythology, but dragons, nope.

As with any corps, things tend to develop as the season goes on. The name, at this point, is what it is. I can't wait for you to hear the MUSIC. It doesn't sound like anything Pioneer has ever played thanks to our new Brass Composer/Arranger, Rob Stein. 

I know everyone is worried about the title and the use of "Irish,"  but I think you'll find that this program will bring a darker sound and feel than what you are used to hearing from Pioneer, and perhaps a different side of what "Irish" can be. Our brass staff has already begun developing our signature sound with the current members, and they are further along than they have ever been at this point in the year. We're working hard to prepare our students to blow you away at the first show in Whitewater, Wisconsin on June 23.

We appreciate the support, everyone!

Andy Grindle

Brass Caption Supervisor

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

So,  you're saying it will be like ... 

photo.jpg

well, they drink it warm in ireland I am told so Pioneer may be hoping to be hot.

But Eleran, a Pioneer in Ireland is someone who abstains from all alcohol in reparation for the sins of the British and other world evils in our midst. http://www.pioneerassociation.ie/media-centre  

And Wales is but 300 miles from Ireland. If Tampa can be Boston for the Crusaders and Indianapolis can be Wisconsin for Blue Stars and Madison Scouts,  what's one shoreside over another for Wales, Erin, and Pioneer with both on the Irish Sea?

6 hours ago, PioBrass18 said:

As with any corps, things tend to develop as the season goes on. The name, at this point, is what it is. I can't wait for you to hear the MUSIC. It doesn't sound like anything Pioneer has ever played thanks to our new Brass Composer/Arranger, Rob Stein. 

I know everyone is worried about the title and the use of "Irish,"  but I think you'll find that this program will bring a darker sound and feel than what you are used to hearing from Pioneer, and perhaps a different side of what "Irish" can be. Our brass staff has already begun developing our signature sound with the current members, and they are further along than they have ever been at this point in the year. We're working hard to prepare our students to blow you away at the first show in Whitewater, Wisconsin on June 23.

We appreciate the support, everyone!

Andy Grindle

Brass Caption Supervisor

I appreciate your optimism, but one argument I have always made, and feel strongly about is the whole commitment to the Irish theme, and too often done in a forced way.

That said, it's a pretty bold statement to say that Pioneer is further along than they have ever been. Through the 90's, and even some years since their success in the mid 90's, Pioneer has been very strong.

However, based on what the corps has done the past number of years, coupled with the fact that it's only December 6, having only held a few auditions/camp type rehearsals, I'm curious what makes you say this.

This makes me have a few questions. Since things are further along than they have ever been:

1. Are numbers greater than they have been at this point of auditioned and accepted members?

2. Is the talent/experience level greater?

Having been around the activity a long time, and having spent some time on the brass staff, as well as being at camps, I'm very curious to see what your response is.

For example, in 1997, Pioneer went Division 1, and had a full hornline, but that wasn't the case until almost the season, and even then many of the members were barely playing the show, if it all. I was dating a member of the hornline that season while I was marching in another corps, and was able to learn this information first hand.

Also, in 2005, we averaged about 30 members of the hornline at camps until about April, when the numbers went up.

Based on the size the corps and hornline has been in recent years, and their talent level in performance, I'd love to know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcifan1999 said:

I appreciate your optimism, but one argument I have always made, and feel strongly about is the whole commitment to the Irish theme, and too often done in a forced way.

That said, it's a pretty bold statement to say that Pioneer is further along than they have ever been. Through the 90's, and even some years since their success in the mid 90's, Pioneer has been very strong.

However, based on what the corps has done the past number of years, coupled with the fact that it's only December 6, having only held a few auditions/camp type rehearsals, I'm curious what makes you say this.

This makes me have a few questions. Since things are further along than they have ever been:

1. Are numbers greater than they have been at this point of auditioned and accepted members?

2. Is the talent/experience level greater?

Having been around the activity a long time, and having spent some time on the brass staff, as well as being at camps, I'm very curious to see what your response is.

For example, in 1997, Pioneer went Division 1, and had a full hornline, but that wasn't the case until almost the season, and even then many of the members were barely playing the show, if it all. I was dating a member of the hornline that season while I was marching in another corps, and was able to learn this information first hand.

Also, in 2005, we averaged about 30 members of the hornline at camps until about April, when the numbers went up.

Based on the size the corps and hornline has been in recent years, and their talent level in performance, I'd love to know.

1. Yes. We have 31 brass registered for January camp with 36 days left until camp. This number is not including members who have previous commitments (so they can't attend camp) and those who have just been cut from other drum corps that we will be reaching out to.

2. This is my first year with Pioneer, so I couldn't say for sure if the talent level is higher. What I can say is that these students are hungry, and they have been pushing the staff for instruction. We are currently making our way through our brass fundamental program through videos and will begin Skype private lessons shortly.

Our goal for the January camp is (and has been since September 12 when we started) 50 brass members in attendance. I have no doubt that we will reach this mark, and I look forward to sharing pictures (and maybe even a video) of what they accomplish.

At the end of the day, this is not about comparing specific years of the past to what we are doing. The students are focused on making great sounds together, moving together, and being the best version of themselves that they can be. Bold statements are made when you believe strongly in what you're doing, and in this case, what the students are doing.

I can't wait to share their work with everyone. #GrowPio

Andy

• Like 1